Milk of Magnesia

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Re: Milk of Magnesia

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 05 Dec 2010, 17:29

Hahahahaha I meant WEAN him, not MEAN him.. And I couldn't figure out how to edit my post from my BlackBerry lol
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 05 Dec 2010, 20:54

Hey FF,
The best 2 weeks of my life w/ the fissure before surgery was when they put me on antibiotics and my bm's were basically liquid. I only went three times a day even with the stomach upset from the antibiotics and I used the vaseline as a barrier before bm's. I ate just about anything I wanted besides meat in that period and it was pain free. So maybe if you can get them a little looser without giving your self way too many, then it will help.
I took colace forever w/ my fissure and started miralax after LIS. I think I was up to 5 a day and it didn't hold a light to miralax. So like you already said- if the mom doesn't continue to work for you then definitely give the miralax a try and like Ng mentioned before, you need to give it about three days to work it's magic. I wish I had taken it regularly before LIS and saved myself a little from the pain.
Good luck:)

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 06 Dec 2010, 08:52

Hey Dawn!
Hahaha, maybe that's another good one for the "You Know You Have a Fissure When..." board! When you are excited to have diarrhea! LoL
I'm so glad those days are behind you! :)
I think my milk of magnesia is finally completely working for me, and man oh man, I couldn't believe it this morning! I had no pain at ALL!! :) A little discomfort after, but no sitting-on-a-knife pain!!! :) :) woo hoo!!! My fingers are crossed that things continue like this, and I might actually have a chance to try and heal! Or at least not be in excruciating pain everyday! (Its been a loooooong 5 weeks of a bad re tear and 2 new fissures appearing)
I sure hope I can make it last until after Christmas at Least! I'm so excited for my son's first Christmas, I don't want to have to worry about my angry bum! Geesh!
You must be so happy things have gone so well and that you'll be able to enjoy the holidays!! :) :)
Thanks so much for all the support!! Its been such a great help to me! :)
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 06 Dec 2010, 15:12

Hey FF,
yeah I think that would go well in the "you know you have a fissure when" post,Lol
And yesss I am very Happy I get to enjoy the holidays now.
That's one reason I decided to go ahead and have LIS in October. I couldn't imagine going through the holidays and not eating some junk, much less the pain! I just really wish I had done it sooner:( But I have gained 15lbs back in 7 weeks,Lol.... I may need to slow down now-yikes!
Good luck and I hope the mom gets you through the holidays and atleast makes the bm's less painful. Are you having spasms? My spasms made it unbearable for me to function, worse than the painful bm's. I'm amazed with the people who can enjoy things while still having a fissure. I really couldn't function w/ the spasms!
You're welcome for the support! I'm so grateful for the support and information I got from this board. Nobody really understands who hasn't been through this.
Last edited by Guest on 07 Dec 2010, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Cagirl » 06 Dec 2010, 21:48

Oh FF, I sure hope this works for you. And may we all enjoy the holidays with our families!
Cagirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby FissureFighter0122 » 07 Dec 2010, 08:48

So far so good guys! :) Two days of pain free super mush bm's!! :) No spasms either! SUCH a relief!! I can't believe I didn't try this stuff sooner! Its amazing!!! :)
Thanks for rooting for me guys!! :) it means a lot! :)
FissureFighter0122
Salt Bather

Postby painful » 21 Dec 2010, 05:20

Just bought this today to try, fingers crossed
painful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Bumbutt » 21 Dec 2010, 06:19

I've been using Movicol/Miralax for a few days now, but I'm still experimenting with the dosage, because it does give me stomach cramps. I'm taking a really small amount in the afternoon and evening (about 4g - the whole sachet is 16 g). I wonder if that is why some people only take it in the evening, so that they can sleep through the stomach cramps?
Good that it is working well for you though!
Last edited by Bumbutt on 22 Dec 2010, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Oops - changed mg to g
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 22 Dec 2010, 00:09

BumButt, I had stomach upset along with some flushing when I first started Miralax too. But that all eventually subsided after a week or two and now I get no side effects at all (ok maybe a bit of gas on occasion but that's pretty much it). IMO it takes some time for the body to adjust to.
I also experimented with the dosage. Here in the States, a full dose is 17 grams. I tried split dosing versus single dosing, morning versus evening, with and without food, etc. For me, personally, I get the best results when I take a single dose right after dinner. If I take it without food, my stomach usually isn't too happy, so I take it after eating whenever possible. With time you'll probably find a regimen that works for you. If the cramps don't let up after a week or two, then maybe it's not the right stool softener for you though.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby painful » 20 Jan 2011, 10:04

Well MOM is a miracle worker. I bought it over xmas but hadnt tried it, but after sunday decided to risk it, well its been great, I only took 2 spoons and next day no pain no bleeding, taken it now for 3 days, and same results, its at least allowing the ditilazem chance to heal it.
Its gentle, no cramps, cant believe i suffered and this fingers crossed was the cure.
No idea if I will ever have the guts to stop taking it, will cross that bridge later.
painful
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2