Another setback?!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Another setback?!

Postby juney » 08 Aug 2007, 10:05

i've been doing everything right since my surgery 3 months ago and have noticed little to no progress in healing my fissure. i've been avoiding constipation, and bowel movements haven't been too bad. but this morning for some reason my stool was SO hard. i had to push in order for it to come out (something i NEVER do) and it hurt a lot as it felt like it ripped me open. there was a lot more bright red blood than i've seen in a long time. i think it might be because i ate chinese food yesterday at a work lunch. i'm kicking myself for even eating it!!
do you guys think it's possible to have one bad BM but not completely set yourself back? i'm so worried i just ripped the fissure open to what it was in the beginning of all this (a year ago!!). i work all day so i can't just jump in the bath. how do you guys manage 3 baths a day? does anyone else work (away from home) full-time? i have been taking all kinds of supplements and even started applying aloe vera to my bottom in the last 2 days. i'm hoping i can prevent it from getting back to its original state.
i'm going to have the 2nd LIS surgery, but i don't want to start from scratch completely. has anyone else ever had a really bad BM, hard and with blood, but not set yourself back completely? what should i do to soothe it while i'm here at work, aside from taking already 4 ibuprofen.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Re: Another setback?!

Postby edward_adams » 08 Aug 2007, 10:11

I haven't had surgery, but a couple of weeks ago things were going well, BMs were getting better and pain decreased. Then one day I had the hardest BM ever, like you, felt like a ripped a new one. I was in the most pain ever for the next 2 days.
Then I took some colace and few days after that I was right back on track.
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby juney » 08 Aug 2007, 10:20

thanks, that's good to know. i feel like every day is up and down with this thing. could be practically painless one day and then excruciating the next. is colace the same as docusate sodium? i think i've read other posts that say it is. i've been on 500mg of docusate everyday for the last 3 or 4 months. i wonder if it's possible to develop a kind of "immunity" to it, as i don't feel like it works anymore. but then i haven't stopped taking it, so maybe it is helping.
juney
King Fissure

Postby edward_adams » 08 Aug 2007, 10:42

yup, colase=ds.
I know there are a few people on here that have been taking it for awhile.
edward_adams
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2007, 10:44

I know some people have tried heating pads at work that seem to be helpful like baths can be.

Postby juney » 08 Aug 2007, 11:42

i haven't told (and would never tell) anyone at work what i'm dealing with, so a heating pad is kind of out of the question as everyone would wonder what it was for. luckily i'm close to my house so i can go home and lay down (or soak if i need to) on my lunch break.
for those who have told coworkers, isn't it completely humiliating having everyone know such intimate problems? the only ones i've told are my parents, brother, and boyfriend and that was only after months of pain. when i missed 2 weeks for surgery i kept the reason confidential at work.
juney
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 08 Aug 2007, 16:28

Juney,
After awhile I told everyone at work. I was coming in late and missing days every week. I just got a shot of Botox on 8/6/07. I took this week off without pay. At this point I don't care anymore about work. My health and well being are more important. My bosses are understanding and say to take the time I need. But that might get old to them after awhile who knows. When I told people at work they all understood and knew people who have had an AF in the past or have had one themselves. You would be surprised.
All I know is that I am no good to anyone at home or at work when I am in this pain. I work for a doctor and I can't be making mistakes. So I just wanted to let you know that. I bring my Advil, creams and heating pad to work. I need to have that stuff with me and that's all that counts. You count too... Keep your chin up..
Patty

Told some

Postby Guest » 09 Aug 2007, 10:58

I've told several people at work, others just know have a medical issue. I'm not embarrased, I just want this over! Everyone has been understanding (so far), but that may change depending upon how long this goes