Movicol/Miralax

Found a good website that has some really handy information?  Post your links here...

Return to References, Websites, Facts...

Re: Movicol/Miralax

Postby cherylk » 16 Nov 2010, 06:42

Jason,
All of my doctors have assured me that Movicol/Miralax is safe to take long term. I plan to always have to take it although I have been able to greatly reduce the dose by taking an oat bran/prune juice/applesauce mixture nightly. You might try that. It's 1 cup of oat bran/1 cup of applesauce/ 1/4 cup of prune juice. I currently take 3 tablespoons of that mixture at bedtime. Good luck!
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby StevePain » 16 Nov 2010, 11:03

I agree with cheryl, long term use of Movicol is safe, although there is a risk with any laxative taken long term, the main thing being narrowing of the anal canal (stenosis) due to the lack of stretching during BM, I was taking Movicol for months on end, every single day, I stopped using it over a month ago as I wanted to start forming proper stools again and get my new ass used to passing them, which is why I now only take Fibre supplements.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Nov 2010, 13:05

I'm with Steve and Cheryl. Generally speaking, Movicol is considered one of the safer laxatives for long term use. My 1-year old son actually takes it daily as well under the advice of his GI doctor. There are risks with everything, but the ones involved here should be relatively low.
For me it's all about alternatives. In the general case, if nothing were wrong, then you definitely wouldn't want to just take Movicol for the sake of it. But if the alternative is an anal fissure, pain during defecation, etc., then taking Movicol certainly beats that :)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bumbutt » 29 Jan 2011, 09:18

In some countries MOVICOL may also be known as: DrinkaLax, MixaLax, Forlax, Laxofalk, Glandomed, Tanilas, Onlipeg, Paxabel, Pergidal, Contumax, Polyoxidin, Transipeg, Laxido
from
http://www.pharmacyescrow.com/s33769-s-MOVICOL.aspx
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Guest » 29 Jan 2011, 10:34

Thanks BB. I was under the impression movicol and miralax were the same thing.