DILTIAZEM - side effects.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Diltiazem side effects?

Postby Savaici » 20 Feb 2011, 15:06

Like night and day, yesterday and today. The pain was just unbelievable. But, it is gone. Thank you one and all for your advice and caring.
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby cherylk » 20 Feb 2011, 17:31

Glad you are feeling better today! Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby Bumbutt » 21 Feb 2011, 01:51

Yes, glad you are feeling better... I was surprised to see the list of side effects diltiazem could cause - nausea and indigestion being some of them. I had another thought... since it was a compounding pharmacy, I wondered whether they made the strength of the diltiazem right, or whether it was too strong. Or maybe you are sensitive to it...
In any case, I hope you will be able to get a different ointment - either rectogesic or niphedipine....and not be sensitive to them.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Savaici » 21 Feb 2011, 07:59

Hi all! @Bumbutt. I have come to the conclusion - for now anyway - that I everything that I attempt to put inside has bad reactions. From Lidocaine to the Diltiazem now. The formula for the Diltiazem is 2% and 1% lidocaine. The only thing that gives me any relief is a bit of Vaseline on the outside. Also, putting something in me is very painful, even with a very narrow applicator. I have so much scar tissue and am very tight/small. Always thought that it was a good thing to have your sphincter tight, which I was told mine was over the years...until now Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby cherylk » 21 Feb 2011, 08:15

LIS might be able to help your sphincter. Image
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46

Postby sphinctersaurus » 22 Feb 2011, 04:27

Hey Sav,
I had problems with just about all the creams and ointments I got near my butt too. Diltiazem gave me a very nasty rash within a couple of days! In the end, I wound up using just vaseline. To my surprise, after a month of using it, I found it to be at least as effective as any of the others. I really wish I'd known that sooner!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby happyass » 22 Feb 2011, 21:05

Here is a very interesting research article about a pharma company looking to be the sole provider of diltiazem ointment (ie, no longer is there a need to find someone to compound it....but easily found already on the counter)!
some interesting facts about how much $$$$ this can make for them and how many people are suffering from different gastrointestinal disorders, in particular see how many are afflicted with anal fissures.
this is a multi-billion dollar industry.
no wonder we don't see ketanserin gel here in the USA for anal fissures. it could put the other two ointments, nilfedipine and diltiazem, out of business! maybe.......
http://www.nationalsecurities.com/research/VTUS%20National%202%201%202011.pdf
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby thegreat_in » 23 Feb 2011, 00:18

i am a new member and have a quick diltiazem question. i just got it prescribed today and plan to start using it from tomorrow. both the CR surgeon and pharmacist who compounded it told me it is for outside use only. But when I did a search on this board and looked at old posts looks like people are actually using it inside the anal canal
Can somebody clarify this. Also if I have to use it outside then I can apply it on the general area or do I have to put it on the exact fissure location ? I am not exactly sure where my fissure is though it is probably near my skin tags
thanks a lot
thegreat_in
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby StevePain » 23 Feb 2011, 03:52

Hey there, regarding Diltiazem, you can use it both inside and out, I had a reaction using outside the anus but when applied inside it worked better, I was told only to use a pea-sized amount and insert the finger at least 1cm inside the rectum.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby William » 23 Feb 2011, 07:55

happyass wrote:Here is a very interesting research article about a pharma company looking to be the sole provider of diltiazem ointment...
http://www.nationalsecurities.com/research/VTUS%20National%202%201%202011.pdf

Definitely an interesting read. According to this, about 2% of Americans have a fissure at any given time. And another interesting factoid was the level of satisfaction that fissure sufferers have with primary care physicians (20% very unsatisfied, 72% somewhat satisfied, 8% very saisfied), gastrointerologists (19%/76%/5%), and colorectal surgeons (20%/53%/27%). There was almost no difference between the first two; only CRSs had higher marks.
William
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17