A little confused about Lidocaine

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

A little confused about Lidocaine

Postby Bambi » 22 Feb 2011, 14:10

So Happy asked me if I have Lidocaine and yes, I do, but I'm not sure I have been using it to full advantage. In fact, I have only used it a few times and immediately before a bowel movement. The Dr. sent me home with the prescription for it but I had really used it before.
I am only 5 days out from LIS and skin tag removal so I'm not expecting miracles. That said, when I have a BM I have a fairly intense, deep yet stingy pain that is where I imagine the incision must be (on the opposite side of where my fissure was).
So my CRS still has me using the Nifedipine ointment, which I am just barely inserting in to the "verge"- not sticking my finger in there at all. Hopefully that is right. I'm supposed to use that 3 times a day. So I am a little confused about how the lidocaine is best used. I have a little irritation at the skin tag site if I move around or sit much. The other pain is only when I have a BM. This morning, I fully intended to try and put some of the Lidocaine on before my BM, but it caught me off guard and I ended up not having a chance to put it on. Is the lidocaine something that I should just put on several times a day and over the top of the Nifedipine?
And Happy, I had the urgent type of BM I think you were talking about that caught me off guard. It was not pleasant but I couldn't really rate in my mind if it was better than yesterday or not, since it happened so fast! I am really trying to focus on relaxing today - I don't know if other people have had the one particular day that was more difficult for them, like you Happy. Yesterday was that day for me as I was just so restless and conflicted and being hard on myself and not keeping my expectations in check. And Dawn, I keep forgetting your very good advice of looking at things a week at a time rather than a day at a time! It made sense to me before LIS, but after, I have found myself in this hyperanalysis mode- am I better yet? (Are we there yet?)
I feel like I am being such a baby! I appreciate people putting up with me!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Re: A little confused about Lidocaine

Postby happyass » 22 Feb 2011, 19:37

hi bambi,
i can totally relate to being in hyperanalysis mode...it's like our minds are 125% wired to every single sensation in our butts right now! LOL!
but we do need to take a break and try to put that mode in MUTE! that was the best benefit of going back to work as i had something else to focus on although i would have loved to stay home one more week.
you can use lidocaine anytime you want where as the nifedipine and diltiazem is more like a 3 times a day type of thing.
the lido will help with pain - especially i would think for your skin tag. but yes, my CRS would advise to put some lido before BM and after cleansing from the BM and as needed - this was before LIS and she said to use it after LIS too.
are you wearing a gauze thru the day to help control moisture? try not to sit too much on your bum for the first week.
don't feel that we are putting up with anything Bambi.
i think we all just want the best for you and we don't wan't to see you struggle or in pain and definitely we don't want to see you think this won't work.
you'll need to find some distractions, if possible!
i think after LIS (and before LIS), we have the tendency to be big babies!!! Image and you know what, it's okay.
babies are good!
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bambi » 22 Feb 2011, 21:05

Hi Happy- Yes Babies are good and I just talked for a long time to my wonderful baby (even though she's almost 24!). We had a long talk about how I was feeling that then ended up being a discussion of the Middle East.
I will try the lidocaine a little more and yes I am using the gauze. Today it seems to have a little more discharge than other days but I am seeing that as just a process in the healing mode rather than obsessing about it. I have a general achy feeling "down there" which I wonder if that is a spasm? Actually the gauze thing causes me to notice the skin tag area more than if I weren't using it- it rubs and seems to be getting irritated. Maybe the lidocaine will help that. I will try it. I am grateful that I don't have to think about going back to work because the sitting would have been the hard part I think. I am doing better with putting my mind at ease and have decided to not use the Valium more right now. I don't know if it was making as much of a difference for me and I don't need to get dependent on it.
Thanks again- and I know I asked this before, but is that a generic Pug picture or actually yours? Love those brachycephalic dogs!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby happyass » 22 Feb 2011, 21:59

hi bambi,
how nice is that! you have a daughter. do you have other children? i am glad you had a talk with her. i hope she is not in the middle east right now.
i am preparing my bath for the night!
yes, i hated wearing the gauze because it felt like a big lump down there and yes, the way i had to put it in it always made the area of the skin tag feel even more irritated. ugh. there is a softer cotton thingy - it's like a roll of cotton! - which was a bit more softer against the skin tag.
the pug in the pic is my pug! he is pictured wearing his St. Francis medallion when he was blessed by the minister at the dog park late last year. :-)
my baby pug has a condition too. we both take our medication. i take mine at night and i have to give him meds in the a.m. and the p.m. he has a liver shunt. he will be four years old this June. when i got him, the vet thought he wouldn't make it past 1.5 years. so i am so happy to have him with me.
i have my cat too and he has been with me for almost 17.5 years. i got him when he was a baby.
they are my only children. even though i had always wanted to be a dad. that's just not in the cards for me.
okay, i hope you have a lovely night and day tomorrow.
hugs,
happy
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Bumbutt » 23 Feb 2011, 01:54

That's so cute he was blessed in the dog park! When you see your pugs picture you just want to pick him up and hug him and kiss him!
I don't have a dog now, but had them growing up. I really wish I had one now. The best experience was when our dog had puppies, and I could be "attacked" by nine little puppies jumping on me! Image
Almost as affective as lidocaine!! (to tie things back to the subject!)
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Bambi » 23 Feb 2011, 12:40

Ha- I can see that I need to start a dog section somewhere else. They are so wonderful, aren't they? I love his picture- he is so cute and it is even more wonderful since he was getting blessed in the park.
And no, thank heavens, my daughter is not in the Middle East, but just 30 minutes away from us in Golden. She was just filling me in on everything that has been happening in the world. Somehow I have not put on CNN this week and have "had my head up my ____". She is my only child- she's great!
Good work at tieing things back into the topic Bumbutt!
My CRS had said that for some people the Lidocaine works great and others don't notice much of a help at all. I'm thinking I don't notice much in the way of numbing- I used it this morning. Things felt about the same- a stretching, pain of about 4 out of 10 on the opposite side of the fissure. I picture my poor bruised muscle stretching and the stitches pulling and once the stool goes by there things are pretty ok (unless I lean the wrong way and the skin tag site gets involved). But it is definitely a different pain than before- bruised, achy and some sting. Look for the dog conversation in one of the fun sections!
Bambi
Sitting is definitely easier today but I will try not to overdo it!
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist