Please, help

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Please, help

Postby alpinestrawberry » 08 Mar 2011, 08:19

Yes, the surgeons are always over-optimistic when it comes to recovery times! I know my surgeon says I'll be a new person in three days, and I'll only need to take one or two prescription pain pills. Image
We all know better, don't we?
I'd love a coffee, I do love the stuff, but I think I must have IBS and it really screws up my whole digestion. So I drink strong black tea (laced with Miralax) instead. I just want to go on a trip and not have to worry about packing a bag full of butt products and supplements!
The period thing is so irritating! My cycle is every 26 days so there was a good probability that surgery was going to get scheduled in the middle of it or right before it starts...but the date they gave me falls several days after it ends, another reason I just took that date even though it isn't perfect.
Well, I'll be thinking of you and praying for you...keep us posted on your experience! I hope we all get our lives back, someday soon. Image
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby Bambi » 08 Mar 2011, 10:13

Thank you for reminding me that there is at least one good thing about menopause! At least I haven't had to deal with that along with the surgery and all. That would be frustrating trying to figure all that out.
Sorry to hear that you have also been so sick!
Bambi
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72

Postby desperatehousewife » 08 Mar 2011, 12:23

Guest,
I'm glad you opted for the surgery and found a good crs. I wouldn't worry about the incontinence issue too much. I'm now a veteran and have had 3 rectal surgeries since June of last year (2 LIS and 1 thrombosed hemmeroid). All minor surgeries. I was thinking you should ask your surgeon how they are going to do the surgery (open, closed, stitches, etc.).
I find it odd that you would need to shave your butt or remove hair. Perhaps your surgeon is out of date? As they used to do LIS's ten years ago that had a different cut (keyhole) formation that rendered more people incontinent. This cut was made at 6 or 12 o'clock instead of at 3 or 9 o'clock (hence lateral cut).
Alpine, don't worry about your period. I was on my period for not one, not two but all three surgeries LOL. In Canada, they give you these lovely mesh green panties and a supersized bulky pad to go in between you and the lengerie. I begged for them to just let me use a tampon, but I guess they'd rather look at that! I also tried to reschedule one of my first surgeries because of my period and the secretary laughed at me and said the doctors DO NOT care. They see blood daily, it doesn't matter if it is coming from your uterus. That made me feel better about it. If only they didn't make you wear the green panties, if only!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10