What to tell the office.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What to tell the office.

Postby nycanon » 09 Mar 2011, 21:26

While this is probably the least of my problems surrounding this, I do have a question about how you all explain time off, etc. to people who you'd rather not be involved in your painful bowel movements.
I just started a new job at a very small, close-knit office last month, which is of course when the AF started getting bad and surgery, botox, etc. was on the table. I've already ducked out of the office for a few mornings to see my gastroenterologist, and now it's looking like I'm going to have to take substantially more time off.
The time off isn't really the problem as much as it is coming up with a quick medical explanation for my absence. Do you all have a go-to "excuse"? My boss definitely isn't going to need a lengthy explanation, but I do want an answer when she politely asks what I'm having surgery on.
nycanon
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: What to tell the office.

Postby Bumbutt » 10 Mar 2011, 00:27

Hi! I think there are some other threads about this too, in case you want to do a search, and see other people's ideas.
My "story" at work is just that I have an "intestinal problem" which I describe rather vaguely, mention that there is perhaps some sort of ulcer or sore in the intestine, and that it requires me to be careful with my diet, etc.
Since the intestines cover a lot of ground (small, large, and kind of the end of the intestines.... the part we're concerned with), it allows me to be vague and truthful at the same time.
Bumbutt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 7

Postby Elphie » 10 Mar 2011, 08:47

I just tell ppl I have an anal fissure and to google it if they want to know more. My shyness has been gone for a long time. Those who do google it will at least have an idea of your pain, every site u hit says how debilitating this can b. But in the past I said I had lower back problems to explain my squirming and inability to sit almost anywhere for any length of time. Now I find ppl very understanding.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 10 Mar 2011, 14:14

I currently work at a small company of 15 people. When I got my fissure, I just nicely explained that my ass sprang a second hole which is causing me a lot of pain and bloody poops. And when I went out for surgery, I let everyone know that I'd be out for ass surgery but available via email :) Oh yeah and I now have the corner office because I explained that I pass a lot of gas due to daily laxative use plus veggie soup consumption and don't want other people to smell it Image
No shame here ... I vote for full transparency. Just makes things easier, and you may find that others have gone through similar things in the past. After I broadcast my ass troubles to the company, I discovered that one coworker had fistula surgery at the same CRS office ten years ago, and that another guy had hemorrhoid surgery just a week before he shipped out for the Vietnam war many years ago ... you can imagine his details about the recovery :) Ass problems are pretty common, but people just don't talk about it...
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Elphie » 10 Mar 2011, 17:23

I didn't think there were so many ppl with this until I showed up for my Botox, my CRS does them all the same day, the waiting room was full of stander and squirmers. I had to stop myself how it went as they were leaving lol
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby nycanon » 10 Mar 2011, 19:45

Haha - that's great. Yeah, I would assume that a condition caused by something as simple as constipation would be pretty common. But, like you said, it's generally not discussed.
I think I'll go the route of "gastrointestinal issue" and then if pressed explain the situation in more depth (hopefully not too much).
nycanon
Fibre Addict

Postby alpinestrawberry » 11 Mar 2011, 08:04

I vote for telling them that your "ass sprang a second hole" Image
That will stop all further questions and you'll have a free pass to come and go as you please!!!
alpinestrawberry
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 17

Postby sadgirl » 13 Mar 2011, 19:44

I usually say "gastrointestinal issues with internal bleeding" :D I feel that's being technically honest without revealing too much, yet conveys the seriousness of the situation.
Sometimes people are curious and want to know what kind of issues, and I usually say "ulcers". Some people are STILL not satisfied and want to know where the ulcers are, and I say "colon".
Nobody's ever asked for more information than that, haha.
sadgirl
Fibre Addict

Postby Bobcat » 19 Mar 2011, 07:42

I just say that I had a tear in the bowel. They know that I need to watch what I eat so that I can try to get the tear to heal. Seems to work!
Bobcat
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby StevePain » 20 Mar 2011, 14:38

Anyone with a bit of a clue would know that a tear in the bowel would be a medical emergency lol...
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45