Doctors ignorance of condition.

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Doctors ignorance of condition.

Postby Aliwoo » 10 Mar 2011, 19:57

I believe I have suffered from AF since November 2009. No bleeding evident,but have had horrendous itching and burning since joining a Gym and riding an exercise bike as part of the program.My constant companion since then had been cortisone cream and amolin.Couldn't go anywhere without them.Once I had started to bleed,the doc spotted a fissure,and advised rectogesic.I am on week 5 of the ointment and have not had any bleeding for the last few days.I haven't had pain persay,just tenderness,blaming it on piles.No constipation,very regular.Is it possible I had the AF that long,because I have had no itching or bleeding since using the rectogesic?I am going to use it until it is used up.What do others think?
Aliwoo

Topics: 2

Re: Doctors ignorance of condition.

Postby desperatehousewife » 11 Mar 2011, 00:38

YES YES AND YES! My symptoms were horrendous after/during working out. I was misdiagnosed for ions with hemmeroids too, even though they always said they couldn't feel anything but small hemmeroids when I got the ol digital exam. It got so bad last year, I'd have to take breaks while working out to wipe. Sometimes there was blood in my undies too. Even after I told my gp this (blood, itching, painful bms) he still insisted it was roids. So did my gyno. Unbelievable! I suffered for so many years. You'd think that would be doctoring 101. Several people on this site say the same story about being told it was hemmeroids too. It is wise to be taking care of it now so you can avoid surgery before your problem gets too bad. Good luck!
desperatehousewife
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 14 Mar 2011, 15:40

I think it's indeed possible you had the fissure for a long time. But it's also possible that you really had hemorrhoids or just some kind of anorectal irritation. There's no way to say for sure, but the good thing is you're on appropriate therapy with the nitroglycerin now.
IMO the worst part about doctors being clueless about fissures is that people with fissures go around using hemorrhoid treatments like hydrocortisone, which doesn't help and can make things worse over the long run. That wastes precious time when the fissure may not yet have gone chronic. I had the same thing happen to me (moron doctor who insisted hydrocortisone was the right thing to use) and it went on for months ... by the time I saw someone who didn't resort to hemorrhoid treatments, the fissure was already chronic.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Bambi » 14 Mar 2011, 20:58

I also have to chime in . I had my initial fissure flare-up in April of 2009 and thought it was gone for good after about 6 weeks of my own treatment- stool softeners and A and D ointment combined with baths. It came back in late March of 2010 and I think my frequent riding of an incumbent bike at the gym had something to do with mine as well. And although my family doctor diagnosed it correctly as an anal fissure, he put me on Nifedipine in a cortisone base for months. When I saw the CRS, he uses a vaseline like base (although he didn't really seem concerned about the cortisone and said I could choose to keep using what I had, I decided to switch out of my own concerns. I think the cortisone may have helped initially but over the long term probably hindered healing.
Bambi
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 72