New and Hurting

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

New and Hurting

Postby garwha » 11 Apr 2011, 14:36

Hello all. I am new to this site. Last week I had a fissurectomy, sphinterectomy and hemorrhoidectomy. These were all done on Wednesday. I need some help. I have been in extreme pain since the surgery. My pain scale has bounced around 7 to 10. I cannot sleep. I have problems urinating and having bowel movements. As this is day 5 after the procedures, is this normal. I am taking 1500 mg of vicodin every six hours, xanax to relief my fear of the bathroom and Aleve between the vicodin. I have been drinking plenty of water, using stool softeners and MoM. Is this pain normal? How long do I have to look forward to feeling better. There are times that I wish that I would have died on the operating table. Thanks for any input. Image
garwha
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: New and Hurting

Postby Elphie » 11 Apr 2011, 16:23

OMG I am surprised they did all of those at the same time! I also have hemmeroids as well as my fissure, I asked if they would fix those at the same time as LIS and doc said doing these procedures together would cause extra swelling in different areas which could slow healing down. Well, r warm baths helping? U could ask doc for Valium it helps alot with spasms which r common after surgery which could pull on the other incisions. It really helps me with sleeping, I've been on it a week, sleep better now. I also tried pot to help me sleep, it did but coughing hurt my fissure so now I'm trying the muscle relaxant route. I'm so sorry u r in so much pain, I hope it eases for u soon. We all feel your pain here.
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10

Postby Savaici » 11 Apr 2011, 20:13

Hi garwha. Welcome and sorry you are in such pain. I have had a hemm op and know that is a visit to hell and back. It was extremely painful to bear, and you have had the others done too. I would definitely talk to the surgeon and stress how much pain you are in. So sorry for you. It's bloody awful to have to go through pain, and pain 'there' is just the worst. Take it very easy. Don't overdo things, and know that it will get better and the pain will edge off. Image Image
Savaici
Administrator

Topics: 222

Postby garwha » 12 Apr 2011, 13:45

Thank you for the replies. I realize that all people handle these surgeries differently, but is there a realistic time period for healing?
garwha
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2011, 16:50

It is difficult to put a time on healing as we are all made differently as you have said. I think if you look under those who have had surgery on here you will see what others have said about healing, but really I would tell your doctor you are in such pain. Having such a lot of surgery done is hard on anyone. Try to think positive, though I know when you are in pain that is easy to say, but you are only on day six so there is bound to be pain. I was still in hospital on day five of my hemm op. If you haven't had a poop, don't leave that too long about telling the doctor, as that will make things worse. Talk to your doctor; that is what you pay them for, be it out of your taxes or however. So sorry that you are in pain and hope you will soon be better. Em
Savaici
Administrator

Postby Savaici » 12 Apr 2011, 17:37

I now see you got the poop bit out of the way, so to speak Image Image
Savaici
Administrator

Postby StevePain » 13 Apr 2011, 14:00

Hey there, I had LIS and Fissurectomy just over 8 months ago and can relate to the kind of pain your experiencing (minus the hemmorhoidectomy pain).
I had moderate to severe pain that lasted for months and months, and to date I still have a minor discomfort at times, initially though it was hell and I could not control the pain with anything, God knows how I even got this far.
Rest assured you'll get to a more comfortable level in time, but it's a slow recovery for some as I've found out.
Don't give up hope.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45