Post LIS visit -Two Weeks Update

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post LIS visit -Two Weeks Update

Postby mbpaul » 17 May 2011, 16:36

Hi Guys, As you know, I had my LIS done two weeks ago. My first post op visit with my CRS happened a few days ago. Happy to report that I am healing OK. The fissure is healing more rapidly than the surgical incision. Next scheduled visit is for two months time. BMs are great, no pain though the stool seems to be large and fluffy. CRS says I should take Milk of Magnesia only when needed. (Forgot to ask about the generic stool softeners that I'm still taking - any advice here?). Regarding my diet, I am gradually reintroducing relaxing my forced vegetarian fare that made me lose 15lb in two months. My CRs says that I am under no food restrictions. Yeah Right!! Not sure if I shall EVER eat rice, bread, flour or pasta again. My wife says that the whole wheat or whole grain versions should be OK. Thanks for all your support. Right now my favourite person in the world is my CRS for giving me my life back. Closely following are the members of this forum who felt my pain (pun intended).
mbpaul
Salt Bather

Topics: 3

Re: Post LIS visit -Two Weeks Update

Postby frustrated » 17 May 2011, 16:56

Glad you are feeling better. I am 3 wks post op...fissure is healing well...skin tag incision still an issue.
I plan on staying on the stool softeners until I feel completely healed.
I lost 30 lbs in 5 months...vegan for awhile, then I added some chicken and fish. I know what you mean about the grains. I limit them big time and only have whole grain...whole wheat pasta is yucky IMO, but whole grain pasta is not too bad (I think it's 51% whole grain).
I just make sure I eat lots of veggies when I am eating grains.
frustrated
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Deleted User 579 » 18 May 2011, 07:36

Congratulations Paul! It sounds like you are healing very nicely. I'm so glad you are enjoying painfree BMs. I'm still struggling to get there myself. It doesn't hurt like it used to, but the fissure and incision areas are still pretty tender and there is still some bleeding (I'm only 8 days post-LIS, so perhaps I shouldn't be too impatient).
Sorry I can't advise about the stool softener because I haven't really needed that; but I think some people very gradually taper off after a few months - others plan to stay on them for the rest of their lives. I would go with whatever works for you and not worry quite too much about what the surgeon says. Surgeons can only advise based on trends among patients generally, which may are may not be appropriate for particular patients. Anyway, that's my humble opinion. :D
I'm so happy for you that you are getting better. Hang in there and keep healing buddy! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Elphie » 18 May 2011, 12:40

I'm also 3 weeks out and I'm still on miralax and still taking all my fiber supplements, benefiber twice a day and metamucil with dinner. I'm taking I tsp. Short of a full dose, split up and I don't see me stopping that anytime soon. My CRS also told me today ne food restrictions! If only my fear of food would go away, eventually I'm sure, I have eaten some white bread a few times since surgery without incident but I was worried about it everytime. My GP told me to taper off miralax when I was ready over a few months, not weeks. I say do it when you feel ready but I would start slow. I think the worst is behind you!
Elphie
Fissureologist

Topics: 10