Fistulectomy on the 27th of May... (UPDATED!)

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Re: Fistulectomy on the 27th of May... (UPDATED!)

Postby Maurice » 23 May 2011, 18:02

It was a very small, but certainly solid BM. I had an artichoke the night before, and those things are pure fiber delicious. :9 I think it helped that I just woke up, and usually when I get up, so do my bowels. I didn't have to bear down, it just came through on its own.
As for the packing, seems that the BM dislodged some of it. I lost some earlier today, and not long ago with a packing change. I still have a couple innermost layers working their way up through. :)
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Maurice » 24 May 2011, 14:37

Today I'm very tender at the incision site, but my mom says it's looking a lot better today - less 'gunk'. Not infection, but the dead cells being shed. Today, it looks pink and healthy, and the last bit of packing is coming to the surface.
I had another small BM this morning, a very loose one, so my body seems to be trying to start up.
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 24 May 2011, 14:45

good job Maurice! I also had some 'gunk'. It looks like whitish/yellow dead soggy skin in the areas where the skin tags were cauterized or frozen off (I'm not sure which they did - it just burned like the dickens!). It diminished pretty quickly and I only have a very little bit of that left. I didn't realize that was dead skin cells shedding. I'm glad your mom's around to monitor your recovery and I'm so glad everything is looking healthy and the packing is making its way out. It sounds like you are well on your way to a great recovery! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby Maurice » 24 May 2011, 19:54

Hope: You know, if it was not for this message board, I would be so scared and not a clue what to do. I'm glad you're on your way to recovery today as well!
Today I had my first large BM since the surgery. I read somewhere else on the board that having it in a sitz bath would help reduce the stress and pain. So, I took that advice, and yes, it made the BM so much easier! I actually got a bit teary-eyed because I'm so thankful to everybody here helping me on my way. :)
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 May 2011, 12:07

Yay, Maurice! Congratulations on the successful BM! I'm really glad you were able to go without too much pain and anxiety. This forum has saved my sanity. There is so much good advice and wonderful support, I've teared up a few times too. :D
I hope you're having a good day today!
Deleted User 579

Postby Maurice » 25 May 2011, 13:41

Today is rough, Hope. My butt is beginning to show bruises where the surgeons were less than kind with my behind. So I'm very tender and rather tired. I'm just doing my best to stay chill.
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 May 2011, 14:50

I'm so sorry today is rough for you. Image
Your poor bruised, tender butt is going to need time to feel better. I know it sure feels like healing can take forever when your butt hurts. Mine has been rather sore today too and it is really hard to be chipper when there's a pain in your ass (that phrase has a whole new meaning for me!).
I sure know what you mean about being tired too. If you are able to, try to sleep as much as you can. Pain is exhausting, so you probably need to sleep and replenish.
Hang in there - things will get better soon! Image
Deleted User 579

Postby Maurice » 25 May 2011, 19:19

Thanks, Hope! Many hugs back at you. I feel like your first smiley there - had a large BM today and it burned like I ate a habanero pepper! Hopped right into the shower and got that cleaned off. My mom says my final bit of inner packing is working its way out, and everything looks clean. More exudate is showing its face, so there's definitely healing going on.
Many hugs to you, and I pray your own days go better, Hope. :)
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 May 2011, 06:18

Good morning Maurice! (I hope it is a good morning for you!). Those large BM can burn! They get easier, though. I really hope the packing comes out soon. I imagine you've had about enough of that by now! I'm so glad there's lots of healing going on. It really sounds like you are making great progress, even though you've had some rough patches. I'm going for my two week follow-up today, so I get to find out if I'm healing :)
I hope you have a good butt day today!
Thanks for the hugs! Hugs back to you :)
Deleted User 579

Postby Maurice » 26 May 2011, 18:46

Thanks again, Hope! My follow up is not until the 6th of June. My doctor has recommended me just to rest, relax, and go to the ER if I have any signs of infection. Which, at this point, are none. I'm getting a lot of exudate now, and a bit more odour from my morning patch change. Nothing horrendous. My mom, again, knows what infection looks and smells like being a MA. She compared my packing odour as roses to skunks. LOL.
I lost some more of my inner packing this evening with another bowel movement, which stung, but I hopped right into the shower to clean up. It hurt less this evening because I popped a Phillip's stool softener before bed last night. Really helped the consistency.
One thing really bothered me today, and that was putting away groceries. My father went shopping today, and being him, agitated me until I got up and put the items away. I was fine until I had to get on tip-toe to put away the cat food. YEEEEEEEEOUCH! No, I didn't step on a cat's tail, I could FEEL my wound pull from the packing. Had a small bit of blood and hobbled for a few hours. My dad got a "talkin' to" from my mom as well. Image Poor him.
Other than that, things are looking good on this hind-end.
Hope - here's to your follow-up being smooth sailing, hon!
Maurice
Fibre Addict

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here