Leakage 8 months post-op?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Leakage 8 months post-op?

Postby ElizabethAnnB » 15 Jun 2011, 21:26

Hey Dawn,
It's been a while since I have been on here, but I have the same thing happening. I had my LIS back in January and ever since have been having a problem with irritation. I actually considered going back to my LIS doc because the irritation always seems to be in the old spot where the fissure was. It has shifted since the surgery though. I guess it is just leakage and not the same fissure, but it is highly annoying and yes happens randomly for a while after a BM. I attributed it to new folds or something possibly caused by loosening the muscle. I wish there was something that could be done though because it annoys the hell out of me at random times throughout the day as well. The balneol does help though, a lot. I use it all the time and I am already 6 months post op. I am glad I am not the only one having this issue. I came back to the board today to see if there were any older posts on the subject but saw your post. I may go back and see my doc just to be sure it has nothing to do with the old fissure, but I think I am one of the few that ends up with this problem as well.
ElizabethAnnB
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby sphinctersaurus » 16 Jun 2011, 00:15

Hey guys,
I haven't posted in a while, but on reading your posts (Dawn and Bambi esp.) I felt compelled to say ... DITTO.
Exactly what you are both describing ... Me too!
Honestly, I've been driving myself half mad trying to figure out what the hell to do about it. I won't bother to describe the feeling in detail, because it's pretty much identical to what you said Bambi, and I'm at roughly the same point in recovery as you are. I've had my CRS inspect the area with a proctoscope twice to make sure nothing else was going on and have been given the all clear both times.
Pffft ... Stupid body!
sphinctersaurus
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 10

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2011, 07:28

Hi Elizabeth & Sphinct,
This seems to be common. That makes 5 of us who are having the same issue.
I just want to hear from someone who had this issue for a lengthy amount of time after LIS and it eventually stopped!!
How healthy is it to have a raw anus for years to come from leakage, and cleaning numerous times a day?!
I don't think this would bother me so much if I knew the raw feeling would end. I couldn't keep it any cleaner unless I just stayed in the bath all day. I shower my butt after every bm and then several times through out the day. I always have to clean with baby wipes when I'm away from home. At some point, I get a irritated feeling and know that it's time to wipe and put a barrier on.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Jun 2011, 15:13

Dawn wrote:Geeez NG, I looked back at all my older post and you were basically complaining along with me about the leakage. Image

Dude! Or Dudette, whatever works! I *WAS* right there with you complaining, and was still complaining in my "Impressions after 1 year" thread. LOL. I'm gonna have to send you back to remedial Language Arts (been a while I've used that term haha) class if you ever accuse my ass of NOT leaking again! Sheesh! Image
Seriously, I'm curious about other long term LIS patients too. Are we doomed to be Epic Ass Washers for the rest of our lives? Not the worse thing possible, I suppose, but it definitely wasn't on my Bucket List, that's for sure.
And yeah ... Bambi, give me your shipping address so I can return the TMI Trophy to its rightful owner hahahahahahaha Image Image Image Image
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2011, 16:22

Ouch! Remedial Language Arts may be what I need. I've never been accused of being the brightest crayon in the box,Lol
Yeah, hopefully the leaky a** won't be for life and yeah it could be worse, that's for sure.
Ouch! Remedial Language Arts may be what I need. I've never been accused of being the brightest crayon in the box,Lol
Yeah, hopefully the leaky a** won't be for life and yeah it could be worse, that's for sure.
Oh and One more thing, NG. I respect your knowledge about fissures and appreciate all the support you have given me but I haven't read every post you have written. I do remember someone telling me the leaky butt would subside at a couple of months and mistakenly thought it was you. Even after reading your one year post-op, I came away with "you having leakage when you have numerous watery stools. I apologize for being wrong.... and you can call me Dawn.

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Jun 2011, 18:06

Haha no worries Dawn, I was just messing with you :) (Sorry if it came across otherwise)
But yeah I actually have the same memories. I know at one time we had a "leaky butt" thread and people talked about different timelines of when the leakiness finally subsided. I recall someone saying 2-3 months too but I couldn't find the post when I did a quick check just now.
I'll take another look later on and see if I find the thread -- since there are a bunch of us in this leaky boat, the info might be good to review.
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 16 Jun 2011, 22:53

This is a post I had read NG and I guess it stuck with me. I knew I had read it somewhere in the past.
http://anal-fissure.org/t2525-life-long-term-after-lis#52171

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 16 Jun 2011, 23:10

DOH! I think I made that thread wwaaaaayyy too early ... let's call it ummm "overconfidence." Haha.
I did indeed have a pretty good streak going for a while there. I think I was so happy that the noticeable skid marks (which were very common in the first few months) finally seemed to have subsided drastically. And that they had. But I was wrong to think the leakage or raw-dirty-buttness was gone forever :( As they so often do, ass issues (albeit extremely minor ones) came back to humble me again after that triumphant post.
For me I think diet plays some part, because there are days when I don't notice any leakage at all, and other days where it just kind of annoys me all day by feeling just a little off (in these cases I can usually dab with toilet paper and get some light moist brown on it after which things feel more comfortable). I don't think diet is the entire story, but it probably impacts the intensity of the issue.
(P.S. Great memory! Mine is completely shot obviously :) I truly do apologize if my earlier failed attempt at humor came across poorly -- no offense intended at all.)
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure

Postby Guest » 17 Jun 2011, 11:30

Hey NG,
No problem at all. I think I have a sore spot because I know how uneducated I am:( It it weren't for common sense, I'd have none at all.
Yes I noticed that we have to follow post because when someone posts something it could drastically change weeks, months later... I remember reading post early on and I'd see where someone was healing their fissure with conservative methods and then I'd read comments in other threads and see they eventually had to have surgery. It's kind of hard to read every thread in here but almost necessary to stay on top of things. Things show up in other peoples threads when we comment that aren't made into a new topic... Not to mention you were complaining in one of my threads about the same issue later on??!! Ok my Adult ADD is kicking in, Lol
Anyway I've finally got my miralax dose down to 1&1/4 of a tsp. and was taking the whole 17gs after my surgery. I was a little worried about the volume being much less the past three day but I think my body actually is adjusting. Today went well. It has always taken a few days and then it's ok.
I will try to post the results of my leaky butt issues after doing this for a little longer.
I love your sense of humor, NG. I know I have some self esteem issues and took it the wrong way. Image Image

Postby NeuropathicGuy » 17 Jun 2011, 21:00

Whoa 1.25 teaspoons of Miralax is great! I think that's something like 6 or 7 grams, so well below half a dose! I've gone down to about half a dose or slightly less on occasion, but usually get paranoid after a couple days and then go back up to the full 17 grams. It would be awesome if you keep it up and things on the butt front remain stable, and of course even more awesome if it reduces the leakage! Definitely looking forward to hearing your results there.
And yeah, I know what you mean about following posts closely hahaha. If there's one thing that ass issues do, it's mess with you, that much is certain. It's confounding how things can be GREAT one day and TERRIBLE the next. The inconsistency and uncertainty of when you're finally "out of the woods" is one of the most frustrating parts about the whole thing for me.
And hey! You seem pretty darn sharp to me from your posts on this board! I think it's just that after all we've gone through here with ass issues, it's sometimes hard to see any humor at all with the whole thing. I'll tell ya what, when I first joined this board and saw people cracking jokes about fissures, I definitely wasn't in any kind of laughing mood. In fact I found it kind of annoying. So I totally get where you're coming from :)
Keep us updated on the Miralax situation then -- you just might be the one who solves the "Mystery of the Leaky Butt".
NeuropathicGuy
King Fissure