Fistula, anyone?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Fistula, anyone?

Postby dexterdude » 22 Jun 2011, 02:09

hope: if you haven't read it yet, get the Hyperion Cantos series books by Dan Simmons, first one is called simply Hyperion and there are 4 books total. Another good one I read recently and can recomment is Camouflage, by Joe Haldeman.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Deleted User 579 » 22 Jun 2011, 10:18

That's awesome! Thanks Dexterdude. I'll ask my hubby to pick the books up for me today :D
Deleted User 579

Scared

Postby SummerGal » 26 Jun 2011, 14:12

I just went to see a surgeon this week who said I had an abcessed fistula. He looked at it for 30 seconds and diagnosed me, but that was all he said, that I had one and needed surgery. Is it possible to have a burst abcess without a fistula? I am very scared about all this. I hope surgery helps, but I have read so many horror stories about people getting them over and over again. Are there any good stories of people being healed and happy again or will I for sure have a lifetime of troubles?
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Topics: 1

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jun 2011, 14:34

Hi Summergal - I'm so sorry you are suffering with these problems! Fistulas don't heal on their own. About 50% of abscesses eventually become fistulas. But if the doc says you have a fistula already, then I'd say it's time for surgery.
There are good stories about fistulas healing, on this forum. Check out posts by Afugh!, Dano, and Ouch!, for example. Don't forget that most of the stories on the internet are the more complicated cases. Most people either don't post, or they get better and stop posting. The internet can give a distorted picture of outcomes and prognoses.
If you get treated properly and early, then you have a much lower chance of having problems in the future. Try not to be too scared. The surgery will help and there are lots of good people here who will give you great support and advice. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 26 Jun 2011, 16:41

There are good stories about fistulas healing, on this forum. Check out posts by Afugh!, Dano, and Ouch!, for example. Don't forget that most of the stories on the internet are the more complicated cases. Most people either don't post, or they get better and stop posting. The internet can give a distorted picture of outcomes and prognoses.
That does make me feel better. I have been thinking that, since I only see bad stories online, but you never know! I am having a skin tag taken out and maybe hemorroid as well. I am sooooooooo scared! The problem is, I didn't like my surgeon at all. He talked to me about ten minutes total and did a 1 minute exam and that was it. I think I am going to see if I can get into another surgeon's. Hopefully I will like him/her better and that will make me feel more secure with everything.
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jun 2011, 18:54

Hey Summer - seeing a different surgeon is a good idea. It's important to feel comfortable with your doctor. I completely understand why you are scared! But if you need surgery, it's better to get it done early, before the problem gets worse. That said, you will know when you are ready for surgery. There are lots of great people on this forum who are here for you to help you through this ordeal. I hope you find a good surgeon you like very soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby SummerGal » 26 Jun 2011, 20:33

Good luck to you Hope with your surgery, and thank you for being so nice to a newcomer. I hope you are not in much pain, and they are able to resolve the problem this time. My best to you!
SummerGal
Salt Bather