spasms after surgery! is this expected?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

spasms after surgery! is this expected?

Postby alx » 25 Jun 2011, 10:58

i just had LTS surgery 4 days ago after being plagued by a nasty fissure for 12months.
Before the surgery i had very sharp ice-pick-like pains during trips to the bathroom and spasms which induced about 8-12 hours of SERIOUS pain afterwards - as im sure many of you are familiar. Was absolutely ruining my life so surgery was imperative.
Now, after the surgery, the sharp pain during trips to the bathroom is gone but the spasms are starting up again. My understanding was the surgery would remedy these horrific spasms, but im not sure. Did any of you experience spasms after the surgery?
Im very depressed and concerned. If im not healed by the end of August I have to forfeit a full scholarship to grad school in the USA (im Canadian). Any help would be greatly appreciated! Im truly smypathetic to all of you who are suffering with this problem.
alx
Fibre Addict

Topics: 5

Re: spasms after surgery! is this expected?

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 11:47

Hey there,
Spasms can happen after surgery! I also had spasms after surgery. This can happen with anal surgery sometimes.
I called my CRS and was scared to death my surgery didn't work when mine started. They called in a RX of valium for me- 5mgs and my spasm stopped. They were truly a life-saver for me and I continued to heal without spasms after just taking them a couple of weeks.
Some here just took the baths and with time the spasms settled.
Take care, hope this helps.

Postby alx » 25 Jun 2011, 18:16

ok thanks Dawn
the pain is manageable as long as i lay down. im gonna wait just a few more days before considering heavy painkillers.
alx
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 25 Jun 2011, 19:09

Alx;
Valium is a muscle relaxer, not a pain killer. It will stop the spasms. It's really important to get the spasms to stop ,either with the baths or meds, so that your fissure can heal. As far as I know , as long as your having spasms it will not happen. Good luck.

Postby alx » 25 Jun 2011, 22:49

ohhh that makes more sense
i have a dr appointment on monday - i will ask him
i definitely want the spasms to stop!
thanks again
alx
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2011, 08:12

Your Welcome,
I'm not real big on taking pills. I rarely take a tylenol but this was a life-saver after my surgery. It stopped the spasms and helped me relax during the post-op bm's. I only took the full dose for a few days then cut them in 1/2 after that. They came in 5mg pills.
Good Luck Monday.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 26 Jun 2011, 08:35

Hey alx! I completey agree with Dawn - a number of boardies found valium beneficial, or even different kinds of anti-anxiety/muscle relaxing meds. I also had some spasms after the LIS, but they settled down by the second week post-op. I took extra-strength Robaxacet; but many others benefitted from the prescription meds.
Good luck tomorrow!
Deleted User 579

Postby Brewmaster Mike » 26 Jun 2011, 08:42

Hey alx, I just went through the exact same thing last week after my LIS/fissurectomy. The spasms worried me as well, but now 10 days I'm spasm free. Some of the things I tried (but not sure which fixed it):
-sitz baths
-valium
-nifedipine
-time/rest
My regiment is now a 250mg sodium docusate stool softener in the morning and evening with two sitz baths and a percocet after each bowel movement and I feel a ton better. Also, I started feeling a lot better when I spent less time on the couch and started walking outside. But don't do that too quick, you definitely need rest too. Good luck!
Brewmaster Mike
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby alx » 26 Jun 2011, 11:03

thanks for the help
well its the 5th day after my LIS
yeah the spasms are a nuisance cause i would be feeling so much better without them
still have quite a bit of blood on the toilet paper, is this expected?
alx
Fibre Addict

Postby Guest » 26 Jun 2011, 21:49

Alx,
I would say blood at 5 days post-op is normal.

Keep taking the long warm baths. Hopefully they will help with the spasms. I hope your CRS gives you a prescription for the valium.