Spasms after LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Spasms after LIS

Postby graylene » 13 Jul 2017, 11:23

I had LIS 14 days ago. Recovery was going well, until the spasms came back 4 days ago, and I've had them every day since then. Fissure and incision pain is well-managed with ibuprofen, still using diltiazem for the spasms. I'm keeping up with my water and fiber intake and taking Metamucil and stool softeners. I realize healing is likely going to take a lot longer than 2 weeks... but the return of spasms feels like a backwards step. I'm so so worried that the presence of spasms 2 weeks post-op is indicative of a poor LIS outcome.
Would be so grateful for your words of wisdom, experience, and/or reassurance!
graylene
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Spasms after LIS

Postby Laurieb » 13 Jul 2017, 12:48

Hi Graylene,

I guess I had my LIS almost on the same day as yours! Tomorrow will mark my 2 weeks postop.

Are the spasms the same than preop? In the last days have you noticed any improvment in terms of pain?
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Jul 2017, 13:18

Hi I had spasms regularly upto week 6 after LIS but now I only get them when my crohns flares up.
I felt so defeated when I had spasms after my LIS but my fissure was very deep and long and I had underlying issues.
I don't think having spasms means you won't heal as I was in horrendous pain but my fissure still healed 40% by week 5 and totally healed by week 12. Just tell your CRS so they can check what is going on with you. But I'm sure you will be fine
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby graylene » 13 Jul 2017, 14:48

Laurieb, wow, we are in this together, aren't we! Pain has been tolerable for the most part. I took Vicodin the first night only, then Toradol for 3 days, and since then just ibuprofen. Right before the surgery, my fissure had started to heal (it knew the surgery was coming so it was trying to lull me into complacency - but after several re-tears, I wasn't falling for it!) So, immediately pre-op: I had almost no pain except for during BMs, and spasms were also pretty much gone thanks to diltiazem.
Immediately post-op: first few days were tougher, but as days went by, ended up not even needing ibuprofen around the clock. Sitting and standing are a different story but I figure that will come in time. (Tried to go for a walk today but had to cut it short after 15 mins - throbbing, yikes.)

Then... 10 days post-op: spasms after BM :( Reminded me of the pain from when this began. Not quite as bad as the agonizing days, but close. This has repeated each day since then - it starts an hour or two after a BM and lasts a few hours. It seems so weird because this was not happening for the first 10 days post-op! Apart from the spasms, pain is minimal! How about you Laurieb? How is your recovery so far?

MPB - thank you for the reassurance, I've now read your reply 50 times at least, just to calm myself down. I can't thank you enough. Will definitely discuss with my CRS as well. My follow up is in a couple weeks. Not sure what I would do without this board and all of you - so much gratitude to all of you!!!
graylene
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Mypoorbutt » 13 Jul 2017, 16:19

Your very welcome I know how hard it can be when LIS recovery isn't as smooth as we would wish it.
I was convinced my fissure couldn't have healed even a tiny bit due to the spasms so was very pleased and slightly shocked when it was nearly half way healed.
I truly think some of us for whatever reason just have more sensitive nerves in that area that have become hyper alert over time. Hence why spasms can happen after LIS
Mypoorbutt

Topics: 20

Postby Laurieb » 14 Jul 2017, 09:43

I just posted my last postop update:
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=12012&start=20

Recovery is going good, pain is minimal - and only in the morning.

May be you could call your CRS office to have a follow up sooner? Did you already have a first post op visit? I hope your spasms will go away soon.
Laurieb
Salt Bather

Topics: 8