Why does a healed fissure tear open again?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Why does a healed fissure tear open again?

Postby Qwert » 25 Jun 2011, 13:29

Hello all,
I'm glad to find a forum about anal fissures because I'm dealing with this for years now.
Today I start using dr. wheatgrass but the stories I read on this forum are not very positive so my expectations are not high.
But what I don't understand, how can a "healed" fissure tear open again? Is it because the skin is to thin? I read somewhere on the forum it can take 2 years before it is in the same condition as before the fissure appeard. That's a long time!
Qwert

Topics: 1

Re: Why does a healed fissure tear open again?

Postby dexterdude » 26 Jun 2011, 11:24

Have you seen a doctor (preferably a CRS) yet? I've also had one for years and tried all the "official" creams (nifedipine, nitro, diltiazem) with no effect. I did have periods of no pain, but it would always come back. I think it was a combination of skin too thin and hardened edges (because it was already chronic) which prevented complete healing.
dexterdude
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 3

Postby Downthere » 27 Jun 2011, 06:20

A very good question. My CRS-doc told me that there is not much scientific evidence about how healing takes place in the "long run".
I've been through dilti (which I think helped), sitz bath, and my saviour, Movicol. Right now I don't feel pain, there's no blood, and the doc couldn't see anything - except that some of my blood vessels were sort of standing more out than normal. With Movicol I have rarely symptoms, but if I go 3-4 days without that magic powder, I'm back to bleeding and stingy/itchy feeling.
The whole thing started a little less than a year ago. Maybe after a penicilin "session" with some very high doses.
Now I try to phase out the Movicol by only taking it every second day. Maybe ...
good luck
Martin
Downthere
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby StevePain » 27 Jun 2011, 16:09

There is some suggestion that because the area has already been compromised with surgery that a re-tear is highly likely, in your case (you haven't had surgery?) I would seek further advice if you keep getting more tears as there could be an underlying cause, I.E. Crohns
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby cherylk » 27 Jun 2011, 16:37

I think it takes a very long while for the area affected to regain its original strength. Also, as Steve says, there could be an underlying cause (Crohn's, etc.).
cherylk
VIP

Topics: 46