Cancer caused my fissure to open up again. Help.

Diagnosed with Cancer and treatment has my fissure acting up again

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Cancer caused my fissure to open up again. Help.

Postby deltamove » 22 May 2018, 11:28

Hi Everyone,

I appreciate all the information on the forums and can definitely relate to everyone's frustrations, pain and success. I've had a chronic fissure off and on for years from a botched hemorrhoid excision. For the most part it has been manageable however earlier this year I was diagnosed with acute lymphoblastic leukemia, and one of the drugs I was treated with me constipated me so bad my fissure re-tore. Big.

Fast forward to some sort of infection that developed causing 10/10 pain when going to the bathroom, I would spend 5-6 hours a day dealing with fissure issues and pain. I finally convinced the doctors to help and a CRS at the cancer hospital removed the fissure (he called it ulcer) and said he didn't have to cut in too much.

Luckily the bulk of the pain is gone, however it has been 2+ months and the fissure will not stop bleeding. It bleeds at the very end of defecation when the sphincter closes up. It then stops bleeding fairly quickly. I've tried to relax my muscles and I'm using nifedepine but that last "pinch" is what causes it to bleed. I would like to try a water fast but my oncology team is recommending against it. My stool has been soft and easy to pass and it still hasn't quit bleeding.

I will be following up with my CRS however I would really appreciate any suggestions here. I've tried it all it seems, coconut oil, sits baths, etc. The worst part of cancer has been my fissure...It's crazy!
deltamove
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Re: Cancer caused my fissure to open up again. Help.

Postby patience_and_healing » 25 May 2018, 22:57

Did you have a fissurectomy? That may have caused some thinning of the tissue that could potentially cause bleeding. You could ask for an anoscopy so that the doctor can get a clear view of what's going on.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby deltamove » 29 May 2018, 23:24

Yea I believe he did a fissurectomy as he went in and scraped it off. Anything I can do about the thinning of the tissue?

Thanks!
deltamove
Fibre Addict

Postby Magnesium Lover » 30 May 2018, 03:06

Have you tried taking magnesium citrate supplement? I suffered with fissures on and off for 10 years or more and had various creams from the GP. I was referred to a consultant, but in the meantime read on this forum that magnesium supplements could help relax the muscles and ease the spasms I was getting. As soon as I started taking the magnesium citrate the spasms eased and the healing process began. Fortunately it meant that I didn't have to go through with any surgery. I have continued to take these supplements ever since and if I run out and don't take them for a while, I start to get 'twinges' and take that as a warning sign and start taking them again. They may not work for everyone, but they are certainly worth a try if there's a chance they'll help. I think magnesium citrate is the better supplement of the magnesiums to be effective in this case. Wishing you well!
Magnesium Lover
Fibre Addict

Postby patience_and_healing » 30 May 2018, 15:45

@deltamove - I'm not sure what can make tissues regain thickness except to just give it time and protection. If you are having very soft bowel movements, the acid content can make the tissue sore. Try to keep BMs soft but without residue left behind. I strongly suggest you ask your doctor what can be done to help with this. They shouldn't leave you hanging with this distressing problem.
8/16-12/16: Fissure due to antibiotics
5/17: Botox to sphincter, fissure healed
9/19: Trigger point injections and pudendal nerve block
11/19: Botox to pelvic floor
8/20: Botox to pelvic floor in new location.
On and off in pelvic physical therapy
patience_and_healing

Topics: 40

Postby deltamove » 01 Jun 2018, 16:57

Thanks for the replies. I do take magnesium citrate at night (150mg) I upped it to 300 by taking another capsule around noon. So far today I have had 2 BMS, first one didn't hurt and NO blood, second hurt but NO blood. I'm so excited...

So maybe for me the trick is the additional magnesium. I do have an appt with the Dr to follow up. I believe it's getting better just taking so long...
deltamove
Fibre Addict