Every cloud has a silver lining?

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Every cloud has a silver lining?

Postby seattlesounders » 02 Jul 2011, 11:40

Wanted to share my story with folks because it has helped me find meaning in some of the pain I've been going through -
I started getting fissures 2 years ago now. I had taken up training for a marathon and was having protein shakes to supplement my diet. The odd thing was this co-incided with getting a new toilet installed in our house, and I always thought the angle of sitting may have contributed to the fissure developing.
I gradually managed my fissure symptoms with Metamucil and was happy to avoid surgery. Then one night I woke up with a pain in my bowels. I went to the loo, but couldn't poop. The waves of pain were so bad I passed out and I was taken to the emergency room (you can only imagine the panic my wife was in). Turns out they couldn't tell me what the pain was but I had broken my nose in the fall.
I'd been praying that that my fissure symptoms would go, but the fall finally convinced me to go and see the doc to truly work out what was going on in there. I had a colonscopy and I remember coming round and hearing the results.. they found a polyp and after testing found it was the type that could have developed into a malignant tumor. I remember being stunned because I'm 36, don't smoke and there is no history of cancer in my family. I would never have asked for a colonoscopy until I was around 50 years of age..
Since having the polyp removed, I tried to control fissure pain with diet but I felt it was influencing my life too greatly (e.g half a glass of wine at the table, drinking 8 glasses of water per day etc). I had surgery to repair my fissure 2 weeks ago, and def have my highs and lows, but as I ask for healing in my prayers, I'm grateful that I avoided an even bigger pitfall that I had no idea was coming.
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Re: Every cloud has a silver lining?

Postby val » 02 Jul 2011, 12:28

Wow, they say everything happens for a reason! Good thing that you did pass out really - sorry about your nose though, that can't have been fun!
I hope you heal up quickly, and totally. There is definitely a lot of highs and lows with this, but soon the highs will overtake the lows.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86