Uncertain about Fissure; Bleeding & Moderate Pain

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Uncertain about Fissure; Bleeding & Moderate Pain

Postby GuyDC » 04 Jul 2011, 15:50

Hi everyone,
For the past two years I've had intermittent episodes of pain and bleeding when passing stool. Each episode would last maybe around a week or two. During the actual bowel movement there was a sensation of sharp pain, like hitting a sharp edge, which led me to suspect a fissure. There is no pain before or after. It's only at the particular moment of the bowel movement and that's it. It's not unbearable, I'm just scared of the blood that I know will accompany the pain. There had been no instance of this prior to 2 years ago, it only began recently (I'm 30 yrs old).
I also have a history of hemorrhoids, I've had prolapsing hemorrhoids since childhood. However, hemorrhoids rarely bother me, they've never caused bleeding or BM pain for me, and I never notice them.
So my main concern was the Fissure and the bleeding. I went to two doctors last year, and they both told me they saw a hemorrhoid, but didn't really address the Fissure part of my question. One of them suggested I could have ruptured a hemorrhoid and that's what the bleeding was about.
Just recently, I had another episode of this pain/bleeding. I went to a Dr. and he did a brief exam, and told me he saw a hemorrhoid on the side, but did not see any fissure, but added, "I'm sure there could also be a fissure, since that's what causes the pain." That was basically a shoulder-shrug which didn't really satisfy me at all. I wanted a clear answer as to whether there was a fissure he could localize, and that's what was causing the bleeding and pain.
He insisted on a colonoscopy which I'm having in 2 weeks, to take a full look at the colon. My main question is, will he be able to explain the bleeding after the colonoscopy, and if there's a fissure, will he definitely see it?? If it heals over the next few weeks, is it possible he'll miss it? I would like a clear yes/no answer as to whether I have a fissure, and if so, whether it's behind the bleeding.
GuyDC

Topics: 2

Re: Uncertain about Fissure; Bleeding & Moderate Pain

Postby Guest » 04 Jul 2011, 22:44

Hey there,
I didn't have a colonoscopy with my fissure but I have no doubt the doctor will be able to see the fissure and confirm where your bleeding is coming from- just by reading many post in here by people who were diagnosed after a colonoscopy. I think you can put your mind at ease that you will be diagnosed if you have one.

Postby happyass » 06 Jul 2011, 21:19

hey GuyDC,
not sure if u r in Washington DC. but in case if u r, I am too.
if u r not happy with ur doc or need a second opinion, I totally recommend Dr Anjali Kumar at the Washington Hospital Center. She is awesome and super thorough. I had my LIS + other stuff done with her.
good luck with your colonoscopy.
Last edited by happyass on 06 Jul 2011, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added more info
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Deleted User 680 » 07 Jul 2011, 20:51

hey, I was the same as you, sharp pain when passing stool, but went away 5 mins after, and everything was fine. It however has gotten worse, and now I'm feeling it down there after every BM (lasts 3-6hrs). Mine has been on and off for about 5 years now, eating lots of fiber will help, you want to keep your stool soft. I never changed my diet that's why it got worse, so I suggest lots of fibre, no red meat, etc. Drink lots of water!
I'm taking these for my fibre:
http://www.nationalnutrition.ca/detail.aspx?ID=1724
Deleted User 680