Has anyone had a fistulotomy in the CRS office while awake?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Has anyone had a fistulotomy in the CRS office while awake?

Postby itpainsme » 12 Jul 2011, 22:07

My CRS has my fistulotomy (superficial) and Botox scheduled to be done in his office. I asked the nurse on the phone today if they would give me anything to relax me and she said no. How am I going to make it through being wide awake and terrified even if I am numb down there? The second opinion CRS I saw said that if she did my fistulotomy it would be done at the hospital with anesthesia to put me to sleep. I am just wondering how bad it will be without anything other than numbing my *ss.
Any input would be appreciated.
itpainsme
Salt Bather

Topics: 8

Re: Has anyone had a fistulotomy in the CRS office while awake?

Postby Guest » 13 Jul 2011, 08:35

hi there,
I had all my butt work done in a hospital. I was told when I was in desperation , freaking out that they could do my LIS in the office but they we're honest and told me they rarely, maybe two times have done this and it would be painful... That helped me to make my decision to wait until I could get my anesthesia.With that being said, my procedure was not the same as yours. So, I don't know if this is a common practice with the type of procedure you are having?!
Adam, a new boardie and hopetoheal had some surgery in the office. You may want to take a look at their surgery post.
If it were me, I would go to the CRS who will do it in the hospital. That's just me though, Lol. I believe Adam's experience was ok with the office procedure...
Hopefully others will chime in who have had this done:)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Jul 2011, 13:28

Hi Itpainsme! I'm one of the people who had butt surgery - an LIS - under a local at the Rudd Clinic in Toronto. I had a very bad experience with that, largely because my surgeon was very brutal. The freezing needles did hurt quite a bit, but what made the whole procedure particularly painful was that the surgeon started burning off skin tags and cutting before I was completely numb. He was also really mean! I developed an abscess and fistula after my LIS (the incision wound healed in the wrong way). I had a fistulotomy in a hospital under general anesthesia two weeks and two days ago, and what a difference! The fistulotomy was nothing compared to the LIS! As you can guess, I would say definitely get the surgery done under general anesthesia if you have that option.
Two other boardies had butt surgery under a local at the Rudd Clinic - Adam (fistulotomy) and Redcharger (LIS) - and they had much better experiences than I had. A lot has to do with the surgeon. My surgeon was a real insensitive jacka$$. Adam and Redcharger had different, more compassionate surgeons; but even so, I think they'd tell you that the surgery was painful. I'll let them speak for themselves, though. You can also check out their posts.
I think a lot depends on your state of mind too. By the time I got to the surgery I had been in so much pain for such a long time that I was already a wreck, so having a nasty surgeon was quite beyond what I could cope with psychologically. If you are in a good place psychologically, and you handle pain and surgical procedures well generally, you might be okay with just a local ... but really, for me, there is no reason to do that if you have the choice of a general.
I really hope you feel better very soon!
Deleted User 579

Postby adam » 14 Jul 2011, 22:38

Hi itpainsme, just over a week ago I had my abcess and fistula operated on. I was just expecting, as I was told by the secretary, that my appointment with the crs would only be 15 minutes. Well it wasn't too much longer than 15 minutes, I just wasn't expecting the operation then amd there!
In Canada, I trust and respect any doctor here. When the crs inspected my anal area, he said I had a fistula, he was calling nurses and getting prepared to operate right away.
The operation wasn't as painful as his inspection; to me, him sticking his finger in my already sensitive, infected area to see what was wrong hurt much more than the 4 freeze needles he gave to me.
As the crs was preparing to operate, he didn't even ask me lol. I said "you're operating on me now??" as he was putting on his doctor's gloves, and he said "well you can have it later if you want", and I said " no,no, do it now!" lol. I was more shocked at how lucky I was as I see so many people in this forum need to wait WEEKS just to SEE a crs...
The only thing you have to worry about hurting is the 3 or 4 freeze needles he'll give you that will have you numb in less than a minute. If you know what operation you're having I guess the most painful thing (the inspection) is already out of the way!
If you think you can keep your cool as you recieve the 4 needles, that should be all the pain you'll feel.
The crs said my fistula has been there for a while, but my bottom only gave me pain for just over 3 weeks before I had this done. So maybe that's why my operation was fast, and maybe that's why I felt 80% less pain right after the operation was over. And less and less pain everyday after that.
You'll be fine, whichever route you'll take, either asleep or awake. Just the needles will hurt, but you should feel nothing after that. If you start to feel anything during the operation, you say so, and the crs will freeze you more :)
Good luck! If awake is your only choice you'll do just fine, and at least it'll be no more waiting for the pain to go away!
adam
Salt Bather

Topics: 8