Just had surgery and have a few questions

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Re: Just had surgery and have a few questions

Postby CookieNinja » 09 Jul 2011, 12:02

Thank you for addressing one of my biggest anxieties about this pain-the first bm post surgery.
I'm also worried about sitting because I have to return to work at some point. Longer than the week I told them and which the doctor had originally provided a note for. As I've noted before my primary job requires a lot of sitting and moving around. I will have to quit the university job.
CookieNinja
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby CookieNinja » 09 Jul 2011, 18:35

Question: My pain has decreased significantly since yesterday, the day of the operation. To the point where I don't require painkillers. Is this good or is there something wrong?
CookieNinja
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 10 Jul 2011, 01:24

It's always good when there's no pain! Just keep an eye on it in case it suddenly creeps up on you again. Also, it might hurt a bit after the first bm, it's best to take a painkiller half hour before it so that it will kick in before it gets painful. Remember to shower off - no wiping afterwards.
You will be able to sit down! Just be careful and find a comfortable position so you don't sit directly on it and cause pain.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby CookieNinja » 10 Jul 2011, 20:35

Hi, I had my first post-op bm today! I had a sitz bath right after. The nurse from my doctor's office said that a little blood might come out but there was none!
Just an observation, it seems doctors give a very optimistic time line for this surgery. Tomorrow I'll have to tell my employer that I will be not be coming for two more weeks.
CookieNinja
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 11 Jul 2011, 09:48

Hi Cookie! I'm so sorry you had to have surgery, but it's good that you're here. The folks here are very supportive and helpful! :D
You are definitely right that surgeons significantly underestimate recovery time. That's been widely noted here. You need to proceed on the basis of how you are feeling, and make sure that even if you are feeling better, not to push it too much too fast because you don't want to develop complications. I think telling your employer you need two more weeks is an excellent idea!
I also had a fistulotomy two weeks ago today. I'm feeling better, but I'm still quite tender. The first week was the worst pain-wise; the second week was better, but I was still very tender. I expect week three will be better still - but my doc did say about 6 to 8 weeks for healing, and 4 weeks before I would feel close to normal again.
I hope you're having a good day today! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby CookieNinja » 11 Jul 2011, 10:47

Thank you for your concern but please, no need to apologize. Right now, I'm glad to be fixed and soon ready to go on without hopefully any more complications.
The folks here are indeed very helpful an supportive.
It's a very unfortunate experience to undergo but it's much better having it done than not. Good that you are feeling better today. Take all the time you need to heal and then some to make sure of it.
I likewise hope you enjoy the day. I don't know about the weather up north but I hope it is very pleasant.
CookieNinja
Fibre Addict

Postby CookieNinja » 15 Jul 2011, 15:28

So far I'm healing fine though bms are getting scary. I've been taking stool softeners and lots of water plus sitz baths. How can I make my bms less painful? I've told my doctor my concerns but he looked and said everything was alright. The doctor said I could work so I am. Also, I'm very worried it still hasn't completely healed and a bm today lead to a small amount of but not insignificant dark red blood. It's was almost like it was prior to the surgery. What is going wrong?
Last edited by CookieNinja on 23 Jul 2011, 21:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added new information
CookieNinja
Fibre Addict