Considering surgery, your help is much appreciated!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Considering surgery, your help is much appreciated!

Postby Ink184 » 01 Aug 2011, 10:32

I am fairly new to this wonderful online community, my intro can be found Here!
It has been almost 4 days since i saw my CRS, he recommended i take three sachets of Movicol a day, Celebrex for the pain ( i am trying my best to stay off of it i think i take one pill every two days or so) and Rialocaine (Sterile gel which acts as a local sedative as well, it lasts for two minutes though lol). He said if it didn't get better we will go for surgery within one week.
Movicol has been awesome, for the first time in months i don't find myself straining or pushing every BM. I think my constipation problem has been solved. But the pain from my AF hasn't been easy. Sometimes it can be very intense and leaves me shaking and clenching for a couple of hours until it recedes and it only disappears after say 5 hours more or less. I was trying to time my BM (sorry for the info lol) to be after work, since i figured i can deal with the pain at home with hot baths and laying down on my back. Unfortunately it is now happening in the morning, which forces me to stay home all day and skip work. I have already been on a sick leave due to a hernia surgery last month but i can tell my manager is not very happy with me skipping days every now and then.
So here's my question forum, my CRS said he would do a laser surgery, a google search returned some information regarding Carbon Dioxide Laser Surgery, which supposedly vaporizes the damaged tissue or something like that. Anyone had a similar surgery? What are the cons and pros? I realize my AF may not be that bad, but it is starting to affect my social and professional life, i support my parents too so my job is very crucial to me i can't afford to lose it.
I am supposed to go see the doctor this thursday, should i bring the issue up with him? I figure out if i had a surgery and recovered my company will turn a blind eye for the week or so i might have to skip while recovering, since i am afraid my AF is in a bad shape to heal on its own or in a relatively short time.
Please, help me choose.
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Considering surgery, your help is much appreciated!

Postby Guest » 01 Aug 2011, 10:47

Ink,
I don't know of anyone on this forum who has had laser surgery on their fissure. I researched it a little too.
I personally would go with the LIS. Only because I don't know how well this procedure works and haven't seen anyone post of any experience with it.
Who knows, it could be some new miracle surgery for a fissure Image
Hopefully others can chime in. I wish I could offer more advice.

Re: Considering surgery, your help is much appreciated!

Postby val » 01 Aug 2011, 13:37

My opinion is that whatever they do to the fissure, if the anal muscle is too tight, then you are always going to get the spasm pain and the fissure won't heal. I could be wrong. Like Dawn says, it could be a miracle cure. If it were me, I would prefer to go with the LIS as it is the Rolls Royce of treatments for a fissure.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86