Ink184's Diet Tips [Ongoing Series]

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Ink184's Diet Tips [Ongoing Series]

Postby Ink184 » 01 Aug 2011, 14:38

I would like to share my experience with the wonderful and amazing members of this beautiful society. I will mainly cover some of my personal diet and behavior tips towards constipation, our sworn enemy.
This Will Be An Ongoing Series, I Will Keep Updating It Over Time.

DISCLAIMER: This is in no way a professional or medical opinion, all this is based upon my own experience. I have been dealing with chronic constipation for years, and recently got diagnosed with AF. This form helped me calm my fears and i am trying to help back by thanking the wonderful members and offering them my own advices. Please do not consider this a medical advice, always consult your doctor before any drastic change concerning your diet or the medical supplements you take. I offer my advice as is, free of any medical proof or factual evidence and thus will not be held responsible for any negative due change.
Tip#1: Fiber Fever
An excess of fiber can backfire if not met with an adequate amount of water. And even then it can still cause trouble on the way out. What most people sometimes confuse for a healthy BM friendly diet ends up the exact opposite. For one or two reasons that are: Fiber will usually make up the bulk in your stools, more fiber means larger stools.
How large and how safe though depends highly on how much fiber you consume and the liquids that go with it. Sometimes too much fiber and little liquids (water mainly) means that stool is not going to move fast out of your body, which makes it harder over time as the body absorbs whats left of the liquids in it.
So now that we established this rule, too much fiber can mean trouble. For example during one of my attempts i was having a bowl of a famous fiber rich cereal every morning and it was helping me a lot. I thought about giving it a boost and went for the 57% fiber rich type (same product) and it immediatly made it hard for me to pass stool and it further damaged my AF.
So what do we do in this case? Count on fiber from vegetables and fruits, and back that up with some fiber supplement in moderate amounts, go with whichever suits you we all have our different body systems.
Tip#2: Water is your only friend!
I can't stress how important water is. We all have different intake requirements, we lose water through urinating, breathing, sweating and BM. Consult yoru doctor for the requirement amount of water. For me i found out that anything between 2Ls to 3Ls is more than perfect. But that's my body, you might need more or less.
The most important thing is that you don't forget your doses. Drink as often as you can throughout the day, make it a habit, learn how to enjoy a cup of water! The best way i found out is to keep one of those small 0.6 L bottles with me. It has a nozzle cap, those are cheap and you can afford to forget or lose them. You can also buy one of those bottles athletes use.
Fill it whenever its empty, trust me once you realize how good water is for your body, you will become obsessed about filling that bottle. Fill it everytime its empty and keep it near you to remember to drink.
Tip#3: Bite Size or Open Buffet?
There's a general misconception that the more you eat, the faster and easier it would be for you to have BM. That maybe true for some, but not for us with chronic constipation. Too much food in one meal can usually lead to trouble the next day.
Be Moderate. If you want to eat and spoil yourself by all means do so, but do it in moderation. Instead of three large meals, have 4 to 5 small ones over the course of your day. Food takes between 12 to 72 hours to leave the body. So consider how big and what kind of food you want to keep in your body for that long while also considering your body's inability to pass something the size of a french baguette.
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7