Post LIS Tips/Recovery Tricks?

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Post LIS Tips/Recovery Tricks?

Postby fissurepaingy » 06 Aug 2011, 19:15

I have my LIS surgery scheduled for this Thursday the 11th. It seems like the closer I get to it, the more nervous I get. I am having it done by a CRS with more than 30 years experience which comforts me a bit. I was wondering if you all had any tips of what the best things to do post LIS are? Obviously I'll stick with my high fiber diet and stool softeners... I know I will be terrified to make a BM after surgery.... Any advice would be great. Sitz baths 3x daily, or is that excessive... Anyway, you guys had some good post-LIS tips, and the best things I can do to speed along recovery, I'd greatly appreciate the input :)
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Post LIS Tips/Recovery Tricks?

Postby Guest » 06 Aug 2011, 23:48

Hey FP,
I know it scary but you are doing the best thing for healing your fissure. Everything you said above and most of all "patience". I stayed off my butt the first couple of weeks, kept the diet, softeners,water intake and baths. Don't change a thing that is working for you except maybe up the softeners a little with the pain meds. I don't think 3 baths a day are too much. I took 4-5 baths a day. You may even find you need/ want more because you probably will have some discharge/ leakage post-op,and cleaning after bm's. Your CRS will give you post-op instructions on when to have your first bath though. Be good to yourself and allow others to help, no stress!!:)
The best advice I took from this forum was from a pretty old post. It said count weeks, not days because it can be like watching grass grow. I wasn't in pain but I knew I couldn't rush my recovery and the soreness would go away on it's on time...Around 2-3 weeks things had really progressed.
Your going to do fine. I really was pleasantly surprised with my experience. I thought it was going to be much worse than it was.
Not much longer and you will be on to healing! Image