Please Help: Fistula Question (strange healing w/ clear leak

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Please Help: Fistula Question (strange healing w/ clear leak

Postby bribri99 » 25 Jul 2011, 15:21

So I had a perianal abscess, boo :( The doctor decided to cut and drain it and then she laid it open to clean the abscess out. It didn't develop into a fistula yet, but I went to get surgery anyway to clean out the infection and lay it open (similar to a fistulotomy)
I healed pretty well, that was 3.5 months ago EXCEPT there is a small cavern which is discharging slipper clear (yellow tinge but not pus yellow) liquid. The doctor looked at it again 1.5 weeks ago and said "i was healing weird". She poked around and said she wants to prevent a fistula from happening so she granulized the area with a poker and then put this burning silver liquid thing on it. I think she wants to restart the healing process.
Now, I have a little tunnel/cavern, the same size as before (she said it wasn't a fistula) and it is still now and then showing a little clear sticky/slipper liquid. It doesn't stain my clothes but if I put toilet paper on it, i can see it.
What is this? Is this from the anal crypts? Or is this "healing fluids"? Should I worry? Thank you.
bribri99

Topics: 1

Re: Please Help: Fistula Question (strange healing w/ clear leak

Postby Deleted User 579 » 25 Jul 2011, 19:49

Hi Bribri! I also had an abscess (boo!), but mine formed into a small fistula Image It was caused by the incision from my earlier LIS surgery healing from the outside, so it was very low and superficial. I had the fistulotomy a month ago and I also have a kind of 'cavern', but it seems to be getting shallower. During my first follow-up, almost two weeks after the surgery, my surgeon pulled the fistulotomy wound open to make it wider because he was worried that I was healing 'wrong' - that is, that the wound was healing from the outside, rather than from the inside (or bottom up the wound). He told me to stretch the wound wide so that it didn't heal to form another fistula. Maybe that's what your doctor meant by "healing weird"?
I'm not sure about the fluid. From what I understand, most wounds secrete exudate, which is watery clear/whitish/yellowish fluid. If the fluid gets thicker and milky, then an infection is usually involved. My guess is that you are seeing healthy exudate, or 'healing fluid', and that no crypts are involved. From what I've read here and elsewhere, the wound will drain until it heals. BUT, of course, only your surgeon can really tell you what's happening after a good look, so I definitely think you should ask her. I don't think you should worry, but I do think you should ask about it, just so you know what's happening and how best to help yourself heal.
I'd really like to know what your surgeon has to say about the fluid, so do please keep us posted. I hope the drainage stops and you heal completely very soon! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby bribri99 » 05 Aug 2011, 15:07

Here is a bad follow up: The drainage stopped because the outside finally healed up. I'd be happy but again, the abscess reformed due to the premature healing and it opened itself up after a couple days of pain. It's weird, it doesn't seem like crazy infection, but it just keeps draining like mucus. Why won't it stop? Any suggestions? Thanks
bribri99

Postby val » 06 Aug 2011, 11:42

My fistula surgery was 15th june and mine itches badly then leaks every couple of days. No idea why! Everyone seems to have different experiences with these pesky little things, maybe it depends how big the abcess/fistula was to begin with Image Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby SummerGal » 06 Aug 2011, 15:46

So Val, what does the doc say about you still having the leakage every few days. Does he/she say it's still healing well?
Im only one week out from having a fistulotomy, hemorroidectomy (sp?) and I think something done to a fissure and skin tag. I am worried because I have a lot of drainage, but I guess it's only been a week. I still have some blood and then some off whitish thicker drainage I think near where the fistula is. How do you know what is normal or not. My follow up is not until 5 weeks. Ugh! I still have pain and soreness and walk like John Wayne. lol I have a lot of stinging after a bm, and can't seem to get all the way clean no matter what I try...that bothers me. I hope everything heals well, because this has not been fun. Thank goodness for all you guys!
SummerGal
Salt Bather

Postby val » 07 Aug 2011, 10:40

Well, I got an infection a week after my surgery, antibiotics cleared it up. But then it started draining again, and I saw my CRS who said it was normal. It doesnt feel normal, so I'm going to phone tomorrow to get an appointment quicker than 5th september which is supposed to be my follow up appointment.
I think the soreness and stinging and John Wayne walk is to be expected for a little while! Hang in there, it will get better!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86