HELP- IS A FUISSURE RECURRENT AFTER LIS? PL. GO THRU MY CASE

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

HELP- IS A FUISSURE RECURRENT AFTER LIS? PL. GO THRU MY CASE

Postby sdsmi22010 » 07 Aug 2011, 00:08

HELLO,
I AM MALE - 28YRS. - india
I AM EXPERIENCING AF SINCE 8-9 YRS.
it was some time in late 2002 i had fissures. it did not heal on its own. no preventive scheme was prescribed and my GP sent me directly to a general surgeon . he did anal dilatation on a day case basis. that was sometime mid-2003. post that the fissures was completely healed in a week, spasm gone totally. no other side effects. this lasted for abt 3-4 months. and then the monster re appeared.
post that my GP suggested me only to keep stools soft and not to eat nething spicey.
its been 8 yrs since then. i have fissures. i somehow manage it by keping my stools soft. my ass used to have scars but they were manageable and guess not very deep. i was and am not using any topical cream till now. apart from pain it is a de-moralising experience, and embarrassing at times. as this is not the common aliment faced by pple of my age group.
lately since 2 mths even after keeping stools soft, the scars are felt. a tiny bit of hard stool causes scars to aggravate.
i am yet to see a surgeon. i am not using any topical cream as yet. however i am consuming bulking agent on a regular basis . aggravated scars disturbe my daily routine, workouts etc.
i need a piece of advice from u guys.
i have gathered info abt fissures , causes and line of treatment from net. my GP and surgeon never informed me nething. on the net i have been reading that LIS is most preferred option and now a days nobody does anal dilatation. also less info is available abt recurrent fissure post surgical intervention .
so pl. comment on below points.
1) will having LIS heal fissure 'COMPLETELY' ? ( i was never properly informed by GP and even the surgeon abt possibilities of recurrence)
2) what are the chances of recurrence even after LIS ? ( LIS ites pl. comment) (as i remember my surgeon indirectly hinting me after dilatation that the scars may be there for ever)
3) for how long after LIS you guys have not had fissure? ( LIS ites pl. comment)
4) if it recurs post LIS what are options ?
5) considering my age should i manage my fissure by preventive methods and keep the LIS as an option in 40s. ?
6) ' once fissured always a fissured, no matter what u do' - is this true?
thnx in advance.
sdsmi22010

Topics: 1

Re: HELP- IS A FUISSURE RECURRENT AFTER LIS? PL. GO THRU MY CASE

Postby val » 07 Aug 2011, 07:08

Hi there, and welcome.
Wow, you've been suffering a long time!
Well, some people do heal from the creams, botox or LIS and heal completely. I'm not one of them. I had LIS, but still retore, but it did get rid of the spasms, and the retears tend to heal up quicker. So it's a personal thing - some heal, some don't, no guarantees unfortunately.
I do believe that having LIS is worth it though, and more often than not, it does cure it, so it may be worth you having it done - in the hands of a qualified surgeon (thats most important) you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
After having it so long, I wouldn't think the creams would be much use to you.
Once fissured always fissured? Well, possibly it will always be a weakness in that area and you would need to be more careful than people that never had a fissure, so it is kind of true.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Deleted User 579 » 07 Aug 2011, 09:01

hi there! I'm so sorry you've been suffering for so long. I agree with what Val has said. The LIS works in a majority of cases, but there are no guarantees. The good thing is that if a fissure does recur after the LIS, in many cases, the fissure will heal more quickly because the sphincter muscle isn't as tight. What makes it difficult for a fissure to heal is when the sphincter muscle is too tight or spasms, which blocks blood flow, which in turn prevents healing. Also, I don't think it all that unusual for younger people to get fissures. There are quite a number of folks here in their 20s. So you're definitely not alone and I don't think you need to wait to get relief.
Deleted User 579

Postby Guest » 07 Aug 2011, 19:40

Hope's right! Plenty of people get fissures in there 20's or younger.
I had LIS 9 months ago and haven't had a re-tear. It can happen as Val said, but you get rid of the spasms and have a much better chance of healing quicker. A well qualified CRS will give you the best outcome.
I actually know someone who had the surgery in his early 20's and is fine. The majority of folks who have LIS heal and never get fissures again but in rare cases it can happen. For some the cut isn't sufficient and they may need another LIS.
I don't think there's a good reason to live with the fissure until you are 40 though...