Fissurectomy/Fistulotomy 2 days ago (my experience)

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Fissurectomy/Fistulotomy 2 days ago (my experience)

Postby fissurepaingy » 13 Aug 2011, 16:49

I was very very nervous to get surgery, but I must say it isn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. They put used intravenous sedation to put me under, everyone at the hospital was so very nice and comforting. I went out shortly after they injected the iv and the next thing I knew I woke up and it was all done! I got home expecting massive pain upon the numbing wearing off and I took a pain pill just in case... later on at night, still no pain! The next day I got up and didn't have any pain, only a slight stinging here and there.... Felt the urge to make a BM, and was absolutely terrified to do so... but to my surprise, it wasn't bad AT ALL! Not NEARLY as bad as when I had my fissure... The only thing I felt was a bit of a pinching kind of feeling, seems exactly as the CRS described to me as he told me about repairing the fistula would leave an open wound there that would add to my discomfort... Hopped in the sitz bath immediately afterward. This whole experience is not as bad as I ever imagined! I haven't needed to take a pain pill since and I'm still trying not to sit, I'm either laying on my side or back... Had another BM this morning, and it felt just like maybe a pinch from the raw wound... not bad at all! I'm so surprised that the pain is this minimal. However, I will continue to baby my bottom the best I can to help recovery goes as good as possible. I'm sticking with my pre-surgery diet, and maybe even a little more cautious now that I have had surgery. Oatmeal for breakfast, fiber supplement 2-3 times per day , 2 stool softeners before bed, and lots and lots of water. The hospital even called me the next day to see how I was doing. Best advice I can give anyone who has a fissure and/or fistula and it's affecting your quality of life is to definitely get checked out by a qualified CRS who has had some years experience. Anyway, about to delve into some more h20 and salmon is on the menu for dinner tonight :D
fissurepaingy
Salt Bather

Topics: 19

Re: Fissurectomy/Fistulotomy 2 days ago (my experience)

Postby of all the places to hurt » 13 Aug 2011, 17:06

I am absolutely "made up" for you :D
It is so refreshing to read your story and give the rest of us hope to. Well Done You and keep up the good work!
Wishing you pain free bm's 4ever!!!!
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 13 Aug 2011, 21:18

Congrats on your surgery FP! I knew you could handle it Image
I had imagined it to be horrific and like you, I was really surprised at how manageable it really is.
Keep up the good work with the diet, etc. :)

Postby Deleted User 579 » 14 Aug 2011, 06:54

Great news! Congratulations!! Image

I completely understand your terror about getting butt surgery - that's the scariest thing I've ever had to do. But it was really worth it for me. I'm so glad you are doing so well! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby val » 14 Aug 2011, 12:56

Glad your surgery went so well.
Happy healing!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?