Breastfeeding and using Rectogesic

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Breastfeeding and using Rectogesic

Postby sjane83 » 18 Aug 2011, 17:51

I have two fissures , one at about 3cm and the other is 1cm plus a pile.
This has been going on for 9 weeks but was only properly diagnosed today. Im in extreme agony and
have been told by my doctor that Rectogesic is safe whist breastfeeding, however I have read online and in the box that it should NOT be used.
Any advice , the whole experience is becoming soul destroying.
Can someone please help , Ive been given so many different medicines this past week im not sure which are helpful to the healing process.
Every BM crippling , for up to 5-6 hours after, breastfeeding standing up at present :(
sjane83
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Breastfeeding and using Rectogesic

Postby Bernie » 19 Aug 2011, 01:31

Yes, I've used rectogesic whilst breastfeeding (though I only used it for 2 weeks as the headaches were crippling for me, and moved to diltiazem).
Incidentally, the diltiazem also says to not use when BFing on the box, but is safe. The Breastfeeding Network lists loads of meds and states the various risks for BFing, and you can contact them about the ones that are not listed (as I did for the dilt).
HTHs
Edit:
Thought I'd reproduce the email I had about dilt, which also mentions the safety of nitro:
I am the pharmacist providing information on the safety of drugs in breastmilk and your email was forwarded to me.

We dont have any studies on the amount of diltiazem which passes into milk via anoheal. We do know that the tablets of this drug are safe and that an alternative drug for anal fissures (glyceryl trinitrate) doesnt cause problems for breastfed babies. So putting these two facts together I think it is very unlikely to affect your baby. You may notice some hot flushes and palpitations yourself.

All patient information leaflets tend to say dont use as manufacturers are not required to take responsibility - as explained here http://www.breastfeedingnetwork.org.uk/patient-information-leaflets.html

Regards Wendy

Wendy Jones PhD MRPharmS
BfN Drugline Pharmacist
(My emphasis)
Last edited by Bernie on 19 Aug 2011, 01:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: To add more info
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby sjane83 » 19 Aug 2011, 05:02

Thank you so much Bernie, my mind is a little more at ease.
Hopefully I will avoid the headaches
sjane83
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby sad pooper » 19 Aug 2011, 06:56

hello i also use it and breastfeed- with breastfeeding, there are many things which just simply havent been tested- which is why they warn against it.
sad pooper

Topics: 1

Postby tzella » 11 Dec 2015, 07:25

so what happened eventually sjane83...had the retrogesic helped you? 3 doctors told me not to take it...
i dont know what to do .... i have a babe and a anal fissure 2 monhts each...
tzella
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1