POST LIS

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

POST LIS

Postby Pavel96 » 22 Aug 2011, 11:40

so its been 8 weeks since my LIS surgery with fistula surgery as well, and I still get a little discharge, has anyone else had discharge coming out still this long after surgery. how long does it take for something like this to heal ???
Pavel96
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: POST LIS

Postby Guest » 22 Aug 2011, 17:47

Hey there,
I'm going to give your thread a bump. I only had LIS but I believe discharge after fistula surgery may be normal. Hopefully Val or Hopetoheal can add since they both have had experience with this surgery. Image

Re: POST LIS

Postby Deleted User 579 » 23 Aug 2011, 07:59

Hi Pavel - sorry I didn't see your post before. Thanks for the bump, Dawn!
I had my fistulotomy 9 weeks ago. I didn't have much discharge - just some residual pus that had to drain out. It would drain when I stretched the wound (like my doc told me to). I haven't had any pus come out for about a month now. Otherwise I didn't get much drainage - just a very little bit of clear wound exudate. My fistula was very low and superficial, though. (It formed because the incision from the LIS healed too quickly in the wrong way.) I'm not sure what is normal for other fistulas - but I do recall reading that drainage can last a while (Afugh!!) I think described drainage for up to ten weeks. It seems that it takes quite a while for these things to heal - I'm still bleeding a bit with BMs and I still get the odd little zinger every now and then.
I think a lot depends on what kind of drainage you are having and how much it is. Perhaps other veterans can chime in. I'd say as long as you are noticing improvement, you are probably just fine. People heal at different rates.
Deleted User 579