Update On My Fissurectomy!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Update On My Fissurectomy!

Postby Ink184 » 21 Aug 2011, 07:15

Ok so i had my Fissurectomy yesterday at 2 PM. All i remember is the anesthesiologist plugging two syringes in my IV tube, one clear liquid, then another bigger one (white fluid). I noticed they were preparing some hooks to lift my legs since the surgery was performed with me on my back, and i slept.
Woke up an hour or so later, hallucinating and pretty much made all the nurses laugh lol.
Like i said before, the surgery was performed using a radiowave laser device called Surgitron. I did ask my CRS today to explain more on what has been done but he said he can't explain the whole thing and i was too numb and drugged to argue.
I feel weird, the pain is gone, i was heavily constipated the day before which made my fissure even bigger according to my CRS. I feel a bit sore and uncomfortable, i have a packing inside my butt that they said will fall on its own or with BM. I Haven't had any BM yet, i came home, had some soup and salad. I can walk around and sit some what comfortably but i am just lying down waiting for the inevitable first post op BM. I am dreading it, the CRS said i might notice some blood in the first few days.
They sent me home with Movicol, Celebrex(Celecoxibe) for the pain, Zinnat(Cefuroxime) antibiotics and some Lidocaine Hydrochloride Sterile Gel 2%, and finally orders to have 3 sitz baths a day with some salt and an iodine like antiseptic.
I guess now i will just sit and wait my first BM so i can tell the difference, although i know it is too early for that now, since the pain might be quite similar.
I will keep you all updated!
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Update On My Fissurectomy!

Postby of all the places to hurt » 21 Aug 2011, 07:37

Rami,
I am thrilled that the worst is over now yeyyyy!!
Just make sure you take the movicol to keep those bm's soft and keep taking the pain killers regularly!! I was v. constipated a few weeks ago and I took 2 or 3 satchets a day of movicol. I thought that my 1st bm would be like passing a cannon ball but it was NOT! So, get on that movicol as it is your best ever friend!
Get better soon
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Deleted User 579 » 21 Aug 2011, 08:55

Congratulations Rami! I'm so happy your surgery went well! :D I also tried to ask my surgeon questions when I woke up, but he just smiled and patted my knee and told me I was too drugged and wouldn't remember anything he said, so we would have a conversation later. Image I was pretty out of it - I was hallucinating a bit too.
The packing is uncomfortable Image But it is a big relief when it comes out. Try not to worry too much about the first BM. As long as you are taking your stool softeners and lots of water, it will very likely be just fine. Remember to try to relax and take deep yoga breaths - that helped me a lot.
Thanks so much for sharing your experience with Surgitron. I'm sure this will help others who may undergo that procedure in the future.
Get lots of rest and take good care of Image yourself - you are on the way to healing now!
Deleted User 579

Postby Ink184 » 21 Aug 2011, 15:40

First Update:
So i came home, had lunch, and had dinner an hour ago. Had nothing but a vegetables puree soup and salad (lettuce, avocados and cucumbers with loads of olive oil) on both meals. I took my movicol at noon, and after dinner it kicked in. My first BM!
What a relief! The packing fell it looked like a finger long white sponge, some blood on it (sorry TMI). The stool was very smooth, i jumped into the tub immediately afterwards.
I wish i had the surgery earlier, if my pain scale pre surgery was 9/10 its not even 2/10 now. There is some discomfort, but i can deal with that. The spasms are gone, the burning is gone. Just some discomfort which i reckon is because of the packing and should resolve soon.
I will keep a close eye on my improvement and keep you posted! Thanks everyone you truly made me braver after i found out how many around the world suffer from AF when i thought i was alone and in the dark! Image
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Postby busybrooke3 » 22 Aug 2011, 20:21

So happy for you Rami! I also felt that I had much less pain after my fissurectomy than I had dealing with the fissure. Keep up on the sitz baths, they really help. Keep your stools soft, and you will be fine. I had my fissurectomy almost three weeks ago and I feel like a brand new person, and you will soon too! Image
busybrooke3
Salt Bather

Topics: 4

Postby Ink184 » 23 Aug 2011, 06:54

Thanks brooke! Yes i already feel like a new person already, there has been some pain after BMs, but none like the burning stinging pain from before. I am trying my best to keep a high fiber diet, i eat nothing but steamed vegetables and soup and a lot of water.
I noticed some discharge though will it last long? It seems to be less during the day but when i sleep it increases, i guess it's because of the movement.
But overall i say the surgery has been amazing, the only pain i get is post BM but nothing too serious and trying to cut as much as i can on Pain Killers, the only thing i am worried about is getting constipated again because of the Antibiotics, do they have a significant effect? And how should i counter that?
Thanks everyone for the help you have provided me over the course of the past painful weeks!
Ink184
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 23 Aug 2011, 08:15

Hey Ink! I'm so glad you are doing so well! Image
The discharge is definitely normal this soon after surgery. It may last a few weeks yet. Just be sure to keep the butt clean and you will be just fine. :D
You may want to take care with the antibiotics. They are probably more likely to cause diarrhea than constipations, but even that would be unpleasant. My GI doc recommended a pharmacy grade probiotic when I had to go an antibiotics. In his opinion, the best out there is a product called Bio-K. It comes in pills and a yogurt-like drink. You have to keep both refrigerated. It worked for me; that is, the antibiotics didn't mess up my BMs. :D You should be able to find it in any pharmacy. They even sell it in some grocery stores where I live (in the healthy food section of the store). You can google it and get lots of info. If you can't find that probiotic, your pharmacist can advise you about a good probiotic to take while you're on the antibiotics. Even eating yogurt can help when you have to take ABs.
I hope that helps- and I hope you have a great day! :D
Deleted User 579