MY FISSURE HAS NOW COST ME MY JOB!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

MY FISSURE HAS NOW COST ME MY JOB!

Postby MIKEY » 02 Sep 2011, 09:20

It's bad enough that 9 months I am still having stinging leakage but it has cost me job.
I had LIS with skin tag removal in Nov 2010 and then as complication of that I required Fistula surgery with also removal of polyp in Feb 2011. This was followed by exploratory op in April to review healing and leakage issue.
My employer has now announced redundancy and understandably sickness has been included in the scoring matrix. What makes it most galling is that technically I worked for the NHS for 27 years but my job was outsourced to a private firm who have only therefore effectively employed me for 12 months. My previous exemplary attendance record has been ignored but for the three absences for three ops I have been given 6 points which has dropped me over the threshold for those to go. And before anyone asks I am legally advised that it is tough luck because my condition logically would not be considered a disablement.
A sad tale and with hindsight I bizarrely wonder I should have gritted my teeth and just managed a chronic fissure. Now I am shortly to be unemployed in an economic downturn, the leakage and occasional spasms continent and my butt is permanently covered in barrier cream.
MIKEY

Topics: 1

Re: MY FISSURE HAS NOW COST ME MY JOB!

Postby val » 02 Sep 2011, 09:56

Oh heck, so sorry to hear that Mikey. I do think you've done the right thing by having the LIS though, but it's a shame it hasn't worked for you. If you're still getting spasms that may mean that the CRS didn't cut enough of the muscle when he did the LIS. Although, if you have leakage now, another LIS might make things worse. Could you get another opinion from another CRS, preferably one who has performed that kind of surgery thousands of times?
Does a condition have to be classed as disabling for you to file for unfair dismissal?
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby seattlesounders » 02 Sep 2011, 10:09

Mikey, how frustrating to hear that a former NHS group, couldn't appreciate the fantastic 27 years of service you must have given them. My mum used to work for the NHS and handed in her notice because she saw how things were changing. I think health has to come first in these things though, A polyp and a chronic fissure need to be addressed, and you did the right thing here. I wonder if a doc could write a note to clarify that these conditions are disabling. My prayers are with you that you will be able to get though these tough times
seattlesounders
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Sue27uk » 02 Sep 2011, 10:52

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how worrying it can be, having been off for 5 months myself with a gynae op and now fissure, plus getting mild depression on top. I'm awaiting botox hopefully but still having gynae issues. Luckily my workplace (a school) are phasing me back in, mornings only and have put additional support in to help me. Can you approach your doctor, or contact the hospital to see if they can support you with challenging this? I've got to be honest, I don't know much about it. Just read your post and can identify with the stress and worry. At the end of the day I have come to the conclusion that health is the most important. I wish you all the good wishes I have in sorting out your health and hope you can sort your job situation Image
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21