Bleeding for 4 days? normal? how to stop?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Bleeding for 4 days? normal? how to stop?

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 Sep 2011, 19:55

Welcome to the world of fissures! Just about everything about these suckers is counter-intuitive! The surgerical solution for chronic fissures is a lateral internal sphincterotomy - so a cut is made in the ass to heal a cut in the ass. :D
Same with the ointments - we want more blood flow to heal a cut that bleeds. Its weird, but it works. You need a script from a doc to get these ointments, but any GP in Canada should be able to prescribe them for you. The one problem you may have is that few GPs have any clue about fissures, which is why they prescribe hemmie ointments so often, which cause more problems. You need nitro at 0.2% or diltiazem at 2%. Make sure the doc understands that - I was first prescribed 2% nitro Image which was way too high. I got that prescription from a doc in ER. At first he didn't believe me when I told him that nitro was used for fissures, and then he went and looked it up, but got the concentration wrong. A good GP will know better, though. My new doc knows what to prescribe. You definitely can't get these OTC - they are actually also for heart conditions. There are side-effects: specifically headaches with the nitro, and some dizziness, because it dialates the blood vessels. Generally, though, the headaches and dizziness pass once you get accustomed to the meds. But these side-effects are why it's important to get the right concentration. Whereabouts in Canada are you, BTW?
There are lots of folks here who suffered with fissues for months and even years. I had mine for about four months when it was really bad, but about a year altogether off and on (it would heal and it often retear - the whole time the docs kept telling me I had hemorrhoids and gave me the wrong meds!). Seriously, get on this asap - fissures tend to get a lot worse and they are very difficult to heal without surgery once they are chronic. Now, if yours does become chronic and you must face surgery, don't despair. The surgery is not too bad. It's not fun, but it isn't as bad as it sounds, and it's given many of us our lives back. I had surgery for my fissure in May and it definitely gave me my life back.
Deleted User 579

Postby jamieh » 04 Sep 2011, 20:55

Hi Hope,
thanks for the details..
Im in Toronto at the moment..
So I just go to the GP and ask for diltiazem at 2% would that be better than the nitro?
Also should i maybe wait a few days to see if there is any improvement? as I said its not really painful at all, its just the little bit of bleeding which kinda freaks me out!.
jamieh
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby jamieh » 04 Sep 2011, 20:59

Also one other question.. Is exercise going to make it worse?? Like running etc??? Or does that help promote blood flow?
jamieh
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 04 Sep 2011, 21:25

It's actually very good that you are in Toronto, since that is where most of the highly qualified docs are. Your fissure is still very young, so you have a good chance of healing it. I think the two week time-frame your doc gave you is reasonable. It might be a bit early yet to get the ointments. Just please don't ignore this! And if things get worse before the two weeks are up, don't be shy about going back to the doc, especially if you get a burning sensation - that's often the feeling of a sphincter muscle spasming and that's what you definitely don't want. Also, don't let the doc send you away with no ointments if you fissure lasts longer than two weeks. By the time the fissure gets to six weeks, it's really hard to heal even with the ointments by then. Some people find running irritating to a fissure, and weights are a no-go right now. Perhaps some gentle excersize would be ok. Definitely take hot/warm baths!
Deleted User 579

Postby jamieh » 04 Sep 2011, 21:52

Thanks again for the info hope :)
So if I go back to the docs i guess its best to make an apointment with one of the better qualified ones like you mentioned.
How would I find them etc? and i guess i just call and make an apointment?
jamieh
Fibre Addict