Advice on how to get a crs referral on the NHS

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Advice on how to get a crs referral on the NHS

Postby sjane83 » 06 Sep 2011, 16:55

Feel like crying again today, Its been 12 weeks since I gave birth and about 11 with my 2 fissures and my G.P is the most unsympathetic person I have ever meet.
She is not taking my pain seriously, Ive already changed doctors twice as they misdiagnosed and am slowly becoming depressed with the situation.
i went in to the doctor today and tried to be assertive following the forums advice and ask for a referral to a crs, she basically laughed me out of the office when I suggested the botox route, stating that our local hospital doesn't provide this service.
She has advised me to wait another month and says that 11 weeks is still early day. I could cry... Any advice about NHS funded treatments and referral guidelines would be appreciated.
( Im using Movicol, Godsend)
sjane83
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Advice on how to get a crs referral on the NHS

Postby Sue27uk » 07 Sep 2011, 11:16

I was admitted to hospital which is the reason I am under a CRS there. I have waited 4 months for follow-up appointment which is next week. My GP also said to give it time, and wouldn't even refer me privately - it took 5 visits!! But I got there in the end and the CRS suggested botox, which I intend to argue for next week at NHS appointment. I know how you are feeling, I have become very down with all this. The only advice I can recommend is being very assertive, giving reasons you need to see a CRS, and you have a baby to look after too. Has she given you rectogesic or any cream? I think maybe persistence is the key! Is there any other doctor in the practice you could see? If your local hospital doesn't do the treatment, you have the right to ask to go to another. You can get NHS treatment in a private hospital too, so there may be one near you. I wish I could be of more help, maybe someone else will be able to advise you more as I was slightly different being admitted to hospital :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Postby Bernie » 08 Sep 2011, 02:24

I've nothing useful to add I'm afraid. With my GPs too, there's nothing to do but wait. Image
With my first fissure, like you I changed docs, as the first told me to eat some vegetables, and dismissed the pain and huge volumes of blood. Eventually I got botox (which did heal me) but that was 9 months after the birth. (At that time I didn't know about this forum, so I only had lactulose the entire time.)
Second time, (again fissure caused by birth) I knew what was going on, so started on the fybrogel immediately and went back to the docs. Whilst they agreed I probably had a fissure, it took months for a proper diagnoses and anything prescribed. The first ointment they gave me was for hemmerrhoids (which can make fissures worse) and it although I was referred to a CRS, it wasn't until 8 months after the birth until I saw him. (Waiting lists!) He gave me the correct cream (diltiazem or rectogesic are the best), and put me on movicol, and told to wait for a further 8 weeks before seeing him again. Well, my return visit was yesterday, a whopping 5 months after the first visit and over 12 months since I gave birth. So even though I've been a lot more proactive and nagging at the doctors, it has taken even longer than the last time.
I was told yesterday that I had healed, but I'm not convinced. (Diltiazem + movicol has made it manageable, and limited pain, but if I stop either then the pain and blood returns. I've been told to stop both immediately, and start on the fybrogel again.) I'll wait and see, but tbh, I feel like I'm back to square one.
Bernie
Salt Bather

Topics: 10

Postby sjane83 » 08 Sep 2011, 04:33

Thanks for the replies,
although going by your experiences it doesn't look to hopeful!
@ sue, I have tried Rectogesic but like others I cant function with the headaches perhaps I will ask for diltiazem.
@Bernie you seem to have been treated very poorly, like you I can manage the pain with movical but without it I also have lots of blood loss.
My G.P is still prescribing pile Suppositories and dismissed my question as to whether this might be making the Fissures worse ( against her advice I have chosen not to use them)
I have an appointment with another doctor on the 12th and if I don't get a crs referral Ill be gutted.
I really feel for you guys its just such an awful pain to manage :(
sjane83
Fibre Addict

Postby sjane83 » 08 Sep 2011, 04:36

@ Sue can you let me know how you get on with the botox?
Also does any of you think that landing at A and E is an option?
sjane83
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 08 Sep 2011, 10:25

Anything that gets you seen quicker would be a good option! At least they would have to treat it - just so long as the person you see is fissure-savvy!
Another way is to get your GP to refer you privately (it will cost around Ј150) , get their expert opinion, then get referred back to them on NHS!
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Sue27uk » 08 Sep 2011, 11:31

Yeah will let you know how I get on with botox. If it's a long wait my parents have offered to help with costs so hopefully a couple of weeks wait. But I'm giving it my best shot at pushing it at my NHS appointment first next week. What Val suggested about going private sounds good, sort of what I've done. Gosh Bernie, sounds like you've really been through it. Hope it all gets sorted soon. Let me know how you get on sjane, good luck with your appointment on the 12th :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21