Message From a Newbie

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Message From a Newbie

Postby angelofthedawn » 13 Sep 2011, 21:08

Well imagine my surprise when I stumbled upon this amazing forum! I too have lived with a fissure for over two years. Like so many of you it is life altering and impacts our lives in such a way that is indescribable to non-sufferers. I live in Canada and have waited a whole year for my LIS surgery. I go in on Sept 29th. I am nervous and down right scared about the surgery, but I am also excited for the future. I am dreaming of a future without excruciating pain.
Thanks to everyone who posts about their experiences and what has helped them. It is wonderful to know I am not alone. And although I will probably never meet any of you, I feel real sense of community.
One thing I will share with you is a Naturopathic Doctor recommended that I take the supplement magnesium citrate to help soften my stools. I was having a tough time getting enough fiber and those supplements really helped. You can find them at Walmart and even some Safeways. Of course drinking tons of water and changing to a vegetarian diet has helped too. I tried all the creams and lotions and suppositories to no avail. Surgery has been my last hope. Just so crazy we have to wait so long for a date. But it is coming up real soon and I have really enjoyed reading others experiences and love getting the tips on what has worked for them. I love that we all talk about having the first BM after surgery and how scared we are of that. Seriously I am terrified of just that, but your posts have helped me. I would like to believe that it won't be that bad.
I feel for the folks on here who are just new with this condition. I remember how scared I was and lost and embarrassed. So great to have this place to reach out to and learn from each other. So if you are new with an AF or if you have lived with them for years, there is hope. We always have to believe that there is hope.
I will let you know how the surgery goes on the 29th.
angelofthedawn
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Message From a Newbie

Postby Guest » 14 Sep 2011, 06:10

Welcome Angel!
Great that you will be getting your surgery soon!
Try not to stress too much. I know that's easier said than done. I'm almost a year post-op now and couldn't be happier with the results.
Take care and keep us posted! There's tons of support and information here:)

Postby of all the places to hurt » 14 Sep 2011, 10:46

Hi Angel,
All the very best of luck for the 29th! Stay positive we will be here for you Image
of all the places to hurt
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby angelofthedawn » 20 Sep 2011, 20:04

Thanks for the support. Turns out I hve just been diagnosed with shingles :( For those of us who had chicken pox as a kid the virus always lies dormant in our system and when we are under stress or our immune system is compromised in any way it can resurface in the form of shingles. It is very painful and it looks like my surgery will have to be postponed. Which is very disappointing. I can not believe I have been given yet another painful condition. Seriously aren't I going through enough with my AF!! And of all places to get the lovely lesions I have them on my face. Nothing like kicking you when you are down.
I will keep you posted on when my new surgery date will be.
A
angelofthedawn
Fibre Addict

Postby val » 21 Sep 2011, 11:36

Aw, poor you! My son had that in march - caused by stress!
Are you on anti-virals?
Hope you feel better very soon Image
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby angelofthedawn » 23 Sep 2011, 20:12

Yes, taking anti vitals, anti histamines, and some good pain meds. Ahhh, pain meds. Where would we be without them?
Good news today it looks like surgery is still a go for the 29th. They will access the status of the shingles at my pre-op assessment on the 27th, but the nurse thought I would be ok for surgery. Pheew, what a relief. After organizing the time off from work at a job that I started 8 weeks ago. Really lousy timing, but with the Canadian health care system you go when they say you go. Thankfully my new boss was super understanding. Also there is no way I told him what surgery I was having. That is way too much information for a person who you have known for a long time little lone a new boss!
So now this weekend I am cleaning the house, getting all the laundry done and filling my house will good food for my recovery. I am really hoping I am back to my old self within two weeks. From reading others posts that seems reasonable. I hope that is the same for me.
So now I just have to get through the nasty prep. That is by far the worst part of the surgery. That stuff you have to drink is beyond gross. I had laproscopic surgery 10 years ago and I gag just thinking about having to do that again. But you gotta do it.
Thanks for the kind words. I will keep you posted after the surgery.
angelofthedawn
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 24 Sep 2011, 13:19

I'm so sorry you got singles! But it's good news that your surgery will likely still go ahead as planned. Poor you! You've really been through an awful lot!
Good luck and please keep us posted! :D
Deleted User 579

Postby angelofthedawn » 28 Sep 2011, 19:22

Well tomorrow is my surgery. I spent the day in the bathroom cleaning out my system. I was actually worried that this day would be the worst because of how many times I had to go, but to my surprise it was ok. Funny thing happened to me today I got to a calm place. I guess when you live with an AF for over 2 years and you wait for the surgery for one of those years and the day has finally arrived you get calm. It is like knowing that help has finally arrived.
Sure I am nervous about tomorrow, but it really is out of my hands at this point. I have to trust in the surgeon and all the people involved that everything will be ok.
I have learned from my reading here to stay on top of the pain meds to help manage. And that it will take some time before I am good as new. Back to a life I had before the AF. That will be wonderful. Not dreading every BM, making excuses why I can't go out with friends because I am in agony, trying so many things with my diet and supplements and everything a Doctor every told me to try to no avail. Yes getting your life back like so many of you talk about post surgery. That is what I am looking forward to. I can only dream of a pain free life. I hope that for all of us.
I will let you know how things go post op.
Thanks for all the good info and support. It really does make a difference when you know others feel what you feel.
angelofthedawn
Fibre Addict

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Sep 2011, 19:55

Good luck, Angel! We'll be thinking of you :) everything will go brilliantly!
Deleted User 579

Postby TonyStone » 29 Sep 2011, 08:03

I get mine Friday too. We can be butt buddies! Best of luck to you. All of you are in my prayers. I am gonnA catch up on 8 episodes of "Lights Out"
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14