Newbie to the forums

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Newbie to the forums

Postby Earthworm » 23 Sep 2011, 20:25

Hi all,
Just a quick note to introduce myself.
I am new to these forums but not, unfortunately, new to life with an AF!
I live in the UK and work overseas as a contractor so medical care is a little limited. I have to self manage my condition as best I can. Medics are available but I don't trust any of them not to laugh behind my back when I visit.
My AF started about two years ago after a bad case of hemorrhoids. The pain wouldn't go away and ultimately became so bad that I overcame my embarrassment and visited my GP. My AF was correctly diagnosed and I was treated with the usual suppositories, cream and softeners. After about two weeks it was cured but every three months it comes back for about a month. I am only on softeners now with paracetamol which seems to control it if not cure it.
When I go back to the UK I will go to my GP and see if he can prescribe NTG cream as I have heard good things and I feel that all non-surgical avenues should be explored before they cut into me.
Anyway - I hope to me an active member of this forum and look forward to chatting to you all.
Earthworm
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Re: Newbie to the forums

Postby Guest » 23 Sep 2011, 22:00

Hi there. Just wanted to say NTG does help manage but once a fissure becomes chronic (over 6 weeks) they rarely heal without some kind of surgical intervention. Most of the folks on here who have healed with the ointments such as Nitro, or Diltiazem have started using them before their fissures became chronic.
You may want to consider getting a referral to see a CRS (Colorectal Surgeon). They would be more qualified than a GP to take care of a fissure and advise you on options available such as surgery/ botox.

Postby Earthworm » 23 Sep 2011, 22:11

Thanks for the speedy and comprehensive response.
I have read good things about NTG but as my condition is now chronic (as per your criteria above) I will follow your advise and see my GP. I have no doubt that due to financial restraints I will be put on a waiting list for a year so maybe temporary local relief could be something until surgery becomes available.
I have already started increasing my fibre / water intake and reducing my red meat consumption. I am lactose intolerant so milk products are out of the question anyway.
I am also in the high risk demographic for prostate issues but considering the test is a digital rectal exam I am deferring this until such a time as it can be done pain free. Again I will discuss this with my GP.
Thanks for the help and advise.
Earthworm
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby Guest » 24 Sep 2011, 09:39

Hey Earthworm- Your welcome. :)
and good luck!
I'd like to add the fissure being chronic after 6- 8 weeks is in all the medical literature... I'm not that smart Image Just done more research than I would have liked.
Just re-search chronic fissures on line!

Postby Deleted User 579 » 24 Sep 2011, 13:18

Hey Earthworm! Welcome! I'm sorry you are suffering, but it sounds like you are quite on the ball. I think that if it's going to take you a long time to see a CRS, then you should ask your GP to refer you asap. I know a lot about really long wait times here in Canada and I've learned to get the referral - I can always cancel an appointment later.
Good luck! :D
Deleted User 579