Glad to know I am not the only one going through this

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Glad to know I am not the only one going through this

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Oct 2011, 14:15

I have stumbled on this page and so glad I did. I have been suffering with this since 4/28/09. That was the first time. I was good for about a year and then the recurrence began. I have never felt so much pain in my life!!! My latest battle started in May of this year, went on for weeks. I finally went to a general surgeon, I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid and a fissure. He lanced the hemi, immediate relief, but the fissure was a different story. He gave me Nifedipine ointment, which seems to help a little. Finally went away after a couple of weeks. Then bam, I had 3 good weeks and it was back. I went back to surgeon he said I have a fissure and a tag, uggg. I could continue on the Advil, Nifedipine and Colace, warm soaks I am living on Advil, which does help. Sitz baths don't do much when I am having bad spasms, it is better when I get in the shower and use the hand held shower head. I am an OB/Gyn nurse and a terrible patient. I missed 3 days of work in June. I finally had a good month in August, but mid September came back even worse. I am so tired of this pain!! My husband is so understanding and actually came to the Dr. with me last time. The Dr recommended LIS...Well, I freaked. I am soooo scared to have this surgery. I have read alot of the posts here and has calmed my anxiety a lot, but I am still scared. I have lost 8 lbs since mid September. I am living on oatmeal, water, triscuts, bran flakes and Colace 2 at night, which has seemed to quit working. I go (BM )on a regular schedule usually once or twice in the morning, but when I am in active fissure mode. It hurts so bad, I cant finnish, this ends up being 4-5 times usually on Saturday?? guess because I don't have to work and am home trying to relax. I try not to push but have to. I think I have tried everyway to poop. Standing,squatting, leaning, still very painful and the spasms and burning last for hours. This has affected my whole life. After a BM, I dread the next day and it is just the beginning of the present day. I am already dreading work tomorrow. I walk all day and my O feels so sore, burning and pressure. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: Glad to know I am not the only one going through this

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Oct 2011, 14:29

BTW I am 48 and live in Maryland
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2011, 14:56

Hey Sue,
Welcome to the forum! Sorry to hear you have a fissure. Your story sounds very familiar.
I had LIS last year after dealing with mine for 8 months. I know it's scary to have to decide on the surgery, but it does work!
I would definitely give the miralax a try. Hopefully it will help reduce some of your pain/ trouble with the bm's.

Postby TonyStone » 16 Oct 2011, 15:04

Miralax is great stuff, took about 3 days for me to notice a difference.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Oct 2011, 15:57

Hi Dawn
I have read many of your posts, and a big thank you. I am at this point considering the surgery. I just can't live like this anymore. I think the post op pain can't be as bad as the pain I have been going through for so long. I also have a tag as I think you did. I am just worried this is going to slow down my healing time. I've read the posts about tag removal and pain and it kinda freaks me out. It does get sore but not as bad as the fissure. Do you have to have it removed? or if not is it something you will eventually have to do? I also have been seeing a general surgeon and everyone on here says go to a CRS. The surgeon says he has done many of these, with no complications, but I am thinking maybe I need to talk to a CRS also.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby dwarfs8 » 16 Oct 2011, 18:13

Hi sue, can u recall when u retear urself, did u eat something u shldnt? Or is it cos of hard stools? Were u pushing during bm?
Was thinking if you have retorn yourself for a no of yrs alr, u probably is a candidate for LIS. Learn more abt the ups and downs of LIS here to prepare ur mind. There are some ppl who recover nicely frm it, and some who took longer time to recover. Allow these to sink down in u so u know what to expect
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Oct 2011, 19:04

Hi Dwarfs8
I can recall everytime I retore myself. It has been many. I usually do it when i don't eat enough or not drink enough water, but I always have to push to have a BM. Trying MOM tonight. Kinda scared of the explosive diarhhea and cramps along with the lightheadedness I've been reading about with Miralax.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2011, 19:56

Sue1962 wrote:Hi Dawn
I have read many of your posts, and a big thank you. I am at this point considering the surgery. I just can't live like this anymore. I think the post op pain can't be as bad as the pain I have been going through for so long. I also have a tag as I think you did. I am just worried this is going to slow down my healing time. I've read the posts about tag removal and pain and it kinda freaks me out. It does get sore but not as bad as the fissure. Do you have to have it removed? or if not is it something you will eventually have to do? I also have been seeing a general surgeon and everyone on here says go to a CRS. The surgeon says he has done many of these, with no complications, but I am thinking maybe I need to talk to a CRS also.

Hey Sue,
My CRS gave me the option to leave the skin tag, but I decided to have it removed as it was causing me horrible pain. It would swell and cover the whole anal opening. Looking at it horrified me and I have no idea how a bm could get past when it was at it's worst. I've seen on here where some have regretted not having it removed as it caused more pain post-op. My CRS did say it wouldn't hinder the fissure healing but she was afraid it would give me a lot of trouble...
I know this surgery can sound horrific and you probably won't really believe me until you see for yourself (I've been there!) but it really wasn't as bad as the fissure. I was sore, don't get me wrong but it was very manageable. It really does feel like you've been kicked in the rear, but with the pain meds and some time it all gets better pretty fast.
I'm not sure about the general surgeon, Sue I'm not saying that good ones who are qualified don't exist but I would personally prefer a CRS. I don't know if you saw the list of questions that we all have posted here and there throughout the forum, but I would definitely ask those no matter who I decided to let do the surgery. I will find them and post the link here if you haven't already read them.

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Oct 2011, 20:05

Thank you so much Dawn!!! Your words are comforting!! I am thinking seriously about having this done. I have been miserable for far too long and want my life back!! I hardly even rode my Harley this summer b/c of the pain. I think if I am gonna have it done, might as well get it all done!! Today has been a very rough day and I have work tomorrow...Uggg. I dread the thought of morning coming and will glad when this is all behind me...no pun intended!! If you could repost the questions it would be appreciated!!! I want to go prepared. I am also going to look for a CRS. Thanks again for all of your info.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2011, 20:18

Your welcome!! Here's some questions and answers I asked my CRS before surgery. (Thanks to other boardies in here who helped me out :))
1) How many LIS your surgeon has done- mine said more than she could count
(this sounded good to me)
2) Have they ever made anyone incontinent- this should be NEVER
3) ask if anyone has developed infection/ fistulas because of the surgery- this should be a low number. Mine said maybe 2.
4) ask about there success with the surgery- mine said 90%. She said there was a 10% chance of needing it again.
5) ask anything that makes you feel comfortable about this surgery- pain meds, anesthesia, recovery time, what exactly will be done- just LIS, or fissurectomy, tag removed, etc..