Advice on returning to work after surgery....PLEASE!

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Advice on returning to work after surgery....PLEASE!

Postby rosebud » 19 Oct 2011, 13:31

First, please let me thank all of you that have helped me with advice so far. It has been invaluable to me and I am so grateful! I am so sorry that others like me are suffering in any way with these maladies.
I had a very deep anal fissure repair (advance flap) surgery up high close to my vagina, along with a hemorrhoidectomy and a rectal abcess four weeks ago today. This was all done out patient and I went home the same day. The only complication was that I had to wear a urinary catheter for about 5 days due to my inability to urinate. It has been the worst pain I have ever known in my life but I am slowly healing. To be honest I wondered if I will ever feel normal again. It has been very, very slow but I am getting better. I saw the surgeon two weeks ago and she was pleased with my progress and told me another two weeks off of work was very much in line. I go back to her on Tuesday of next week.
Essentially what I have to tell her is that my bowel movements are better but still painful and my legs still shake after one. Much better than two weeks ago, that is for sure. I can now walk without pain as long as I don't walk far. I can stand in one place for about 5 minutes before it starts hurting. I can drive as long as it is not very far (about 20 minutes) and I have to get out of the car for a break. I can sit on my soft cushion on the couch for about 30 minutes to an hour if I push it before it becomes uncomfortable and I have to walk or lay down. Here is my question.... what do I do about going back to work? Is it unreasonable for me to feel as though sitting 8 hours a day seems impossible? Yet, it has been four weeks and I wonder what the heck is wrong with me if I fear going back and doing a half ass job Sad Sorry for the cuss word but that is what I feel. I have to be on my game at work and although I don't stand I sit all day and am on email and the phone for hours. I have a demanding job and handle many demanding people,yet, wonder if I should just suck it up and go back. Or, do I ask the surgeon for another week and pray I can sit longer than 30 minutes to an hour on my soft couch soon? How long seems reasonable before heading back to work? Am I just a wimp????? Please help..... Thanks so much....Rosebud
rosebud
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Advice on returning to work after surgery....PLEASE!

Postby StevePain » 20 Oct 2011, 04:39

rosebud wrote: what do I do about going back to work? Is it unreasonable for me to feel as though sitting 8 hours a day seems impossible? Yet, it has been four weeks and I wonder what the heck is wrong with me if I fear going back and doing a half ass job Sad Sorry for the cuss word but that is what I feel. I have to be on my game at work and although I don't stand I sit all day and am on email and the phone for hours. I have a demanding job and handle many demanding people,yet, wonder if I should just suck it up and go back. Or, do I ask the surgeon for another week and pray I can sit longer than 30 minutes to an hour on my soft couch soon? How long seems reasonable before heading back to work? Am I just a wimp????? Please help..... Thanks so much....Rosebud

The answer is easy, do not rush back to work, the area will take a long long time to heal, probably up to 1 year, I only had LIS and Fissurectomy but was in agony for 3 months after and still had pain and burning for a further 5-6 months, I couldn't sit down properly for months so I know how you feel, in all honesty you need a good few months off work, the surgery you've had is very invasive and will need more time.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby rosebud » 20 Oct 2011, 06:51

Wow Steve.... thank you for responding! I really care about my job and if I may so, take a lot of pride in putting 110% in to it. I just know I can't put much in to it right now. My life is filled with how I walk, what I eating right, sitting or not sitting, pooping (or fear and pain of pooping), remaining calm and getting better, while learning more about all of this. I am sorry you went through what you did. I noticed you are a moderator for the website. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! This website is truly a gift to people suffering in horrible pain and living in fear simply because they know they have to poop today, tomorrow and beyond. Who would have ever thought something we took for granted could become so amazingly overwhelming and important. What a wonderful gift and source of information and support the creators and moderators of this website are for those in pain. One of the things I keep hearing from the surgeon (although she is great, wonderful and supportive) is that I am on track and I will be amazed what one/two more weeks will do. While true, I don't feel I am getting any idea how long this will truly take and what to expect with regards to returning to work and the length of time it will take to poop without pain. Yes, things are much better little, by little by little, with lots of work on my part, but in reality I suppose I was thinking I would have surgery and in a month be 100%. I wish she would just say what you are saying. The guilt of not being 100% by now makes me think I am a wimp and what is wrong with me. I want to go back to work. I am sort of in this state of feeling better but knowing I couldn't possibly sit for eight hours a day. It is boring but the reality is that I still have to lay down often, can't sit for long and feel proud just because I was able to walk a quarter of a mile and return home. This theme about long term expectations from doctors seems to resonate on the website. Why do you think this is? Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Rosebud
rosebud
Fibre Addict

Postby Rosa M » 20 Oct 2011, 08:23

Try not to be hard on yourself. You sound like a dedicated woman but listen to your body and your intuition. You shouldn't feel guilty about taking the time needed for healing. Your health is the most important thing.
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby rosebud » 20 Oct 2011, 09:24

Hello sweet Rosa....my never ending supporter! You are right, I am hard on myself. Are you sure you don't me? Ha! Thank you dear lady for responding. You gave me the strength to go in to the doctor's office last time and ask for more time. The surgeon completely understood and I did all that worrying for nothing. Now, here I am back to the worrying. My.... we can be creatures of habit, can't we? Thank you dear angel for your support. No one at work other than my boss knows what type of surgery I had and I just know they must be wondering why I am out so long. I know that I shouldn't be worrying about these things because in reality I can't change a thing other than taking care of my body and being patient. I guess you can tell that patience is not one of my virtues. Thank dear Rosa for coming to my aid. Rosebud
rosebud
Fibre Addict

Postby Rosa M » 20 Oct 2011, 09:48

Rosebud, Thank you for your kind sweet words. I could instantly relate to you and your concerns relating to your dedication to your job. I am the same way so you reminded me of me lol. Maybe we are long lost sisters. I didn't like seeing or reading you stress yourself about staying out if work when you feel thats what you need. We have to be advocates for ourselves and whats best for our health. Similarly only one of my bosses knows of my butt issues and the details of my surgery. I spoke with her yesterday and she said although i am missed, i shouldn't worry about taking the time i need. Everyone else at the office i just said i had digestive issues that require surgery. I don't really care what they think. It's all about me right now.
Rosa M
Salt Bather

Topics: 5