Advice on returning to work after surgery....PLEASE!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Advice on returning to work after surgery....PLEASE!

Postby rosebud » 19 Oct 2011, 13:26

First, please let me thank all of you that have helped me with advice so far. It has been invaluable to me and I am so grateful! I so sorry that others like me are suffering in any way with these maladies.
I had a very deep anal fissure repair (advance flap) surgery up high close to my vagina, along with a hemorrhoidectomy and a rectal abcess four weeks ago today. This was all done out patient and I went home the same day. The only complication was that I had to wear a urinary catheter for about 5 days due to my inability to urinate. It has been the worst pain I have ever known in my life Image but I am slowly healing. To be honest I wondered if I will ever feel normal again. It has been very, very slow but I am getting better. I saw the surgeon two weeks ago and she was pleased with my progress and told me another two weeks off of work was very much in line. I go back to her on Tuesday of next week. Essentially what I have to tell her is that my bowel movements are better but still painful and my legs still shake after one. Much better than two weeks ago, that is for sure. I can now walk without pain as long as I don't walk far. I can stand in one place for about 5 minutes before it starts hurting. I can drive as long as it is not very far (about 20 minutes) and I have to get out of the car for a break. I can sit on my soft cushion on the couch for about 30 minutes to an hour if I push it before it becomes uncomfortable and I have to walk or lay down. Here is my question.... what do I do about going back to work? Is it unreasonable for me to feel as though sitting 8 hours a day seems impossible? Yet, it has been four weeks and I wonder what the heck is wrong with me if I fear going back and doing a half ass job :( Sorry for the cuss word but that is what I feel. I have to be on my game at work and although I don't stand I sit all day and am on email and the phone for hours. I have a demanding job and handle many demanding people,yet, wonder if I should just suck it up and go back. Or, do I ask the surgeon for another week and pray I can sit longer than 30 minutes on my soft couch soon? How long seems reasonable before heading back to work? I am just a wimp????? Please help..... Thanks so much....Rosebud
rosebud
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Re: Advice on returning to work after surgery....PLEASE!

Postby Deleted User 579 » 20 Oct 2011, 09:09

Hey Rosebud! You have been through an incredible ordeal! Don't be so hard on yourself! You are definitely not a wimp. Healing from butt surgery takes quite a while, even for those of us who didn't go through nearly what you did. Take more time off if you are worried about going back to work. Really, you need to be very good to yourself for a while. Treat yourself the way you would treat someone you really love. You wouldn't tell a loved one to suck it up and get back to work, eh? You deserve some TLC right now. Also, some more time off might mean faster healing, which means you'll get back on the ball sooner than you would if you went back to work to do a half-assed job and delayed complete recovery. :D
Deleted User 579

Re: Advice on returning to work after surgery....PLEASE!

Postby rosebud » 20 Oct 2011, 12:25

Hi hopetoheal,
How sweet... what a wonderful way to put things. You are right in that I would never tell my son to suck it up and get back to work. Funny how we forget to love ourselves too. Rosa gave me similar advice. Both of you are right. I do need to listen to my gut and give myself some credit that my body is speaking to me. You summed it up...if I feel I am going back do a half-assed job, them most likely I am not ready. Thanks for the advice. I will take it to heart. Much appreciation.... Rosebud
rosebud
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6