Nifedipine or Glyceryl Trinitrate

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Nifedipine or Glyceryl Trinitrate

Postby Em » 11 Oct 2011, 03:05

I am trying to decide which ointment to try for my fissure.
I'm concerned with headaches if I used Glyceryl Trinitrate (rectogesic) so I spoke to my doctor today (when I was having my pap smear...) about a paper I'd read about 1.5% lidocaine with 0.3% nifedipine being very good for fissures and not having side effects.
My doctor said that they are very similar in properties and wasn't sure it would be better.
What do you think?
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Re: Nifedipine or Glyceryl Trinitrate

Postby StevePain » 11 Oct 2011, 16:08

I can't comment on Nifedipine because it isn't available here in the UK, but can tell you that Rectogesic is quite good, initially you will get a slight throbbing headache which over time if you continue using will gradually decrease as your body becomes accustomed to it, I suppose you could also ask your doctor for Diltiazem which is also a good alternative, there's only one problem with that though, some people have an itching reaction to it, I had this kind of reaction but found out it was because I was applying around the anus instead of inside, once I changed the way I applied it it worked for me.
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby dwarfs8 » 11 Oct 2011, 20:57

Try Apply gtn around the anus than inside. I don't hav headache when I do that.
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby TonyStone » 11 Oct 2011, 22:57

I have used both. No headache from nitro but it did burn my O ring something fearce. I had success with Nifidepine with no side effects.
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Em » 11 Oct 2011, 23:52

Thank you for your replies.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby StevePain » 12 Oct 2011, 15:35

TonyStone wrote:I have used both. No headache from nitro but it did burn my O ring something fearce. I had success with Nifidepine with no side effects.

LOL Tony, I know that burning feeling so well, I applied some of my old Diltiazem the other day and I felt like someone had struck a match inside my arse Image
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby sweetdimple67 » 16 Oct 2011, 05:06

I have tried both Rectogesic and Diltiazem retco irritated the hell out of me and I got put on Diltiazem but after a week of itcing and stinging I came out in a rash like Hives so I have had to come of both Image so just doing diet of fibre and drinking gallons of water sitz baths 3 times a day vasaline before and after BM and Laxido as a stool softner ..although the BM are much easier to pass the pain aftewards keeps coming and going I may have 3 good days and then POW it comes back with fury like today Image This thing is trying to rule my life and I WON'T let it Image Oh the Diltiazem was starting to work by the way hardly any pain after a BM just a same it reacted to it :roll:
sweetdimple67
Fibre Addict

Topics: 6

Postby Jojo1 » 26 Oct 2011, 09:31

Is GTN the same thing as the .2% Nitroglycerine ointment compound you get at the pharmacy?
Jojo1
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 34