Long Time Sufferer of Levator Spasms

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Long Time Sufferer of Levator Spasms

Postby JODY23 » 27 Oct 2011, 19:57

Hello, I am new to the forum.I have had Levator Spasms for the last 19 years.I have tried everything to get some relief,but so far, no relief.Any help will be appreciated.
JODY23
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Re: Long Time Sufferer of Levator Spasms

Postby Sue1962 » 28 Oct 2011, 05:29

Hi Jody
If you don't mind me asking, what are Levator spasms?? Do you have a fissure too or just spasms?
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby JODY23 » 28 Oct 2011, 19:18

Hi Sue1962,Levator Spasms are spasms of the rectal muscles.My doctor said the Levator muscle is like a hammock, the bladder and prostate sit on this muscle and the rectum goes through this muscle.I have these spasms constantly and you feel like there is a golf ball in the rectum.Sorry to be so graphic,but I know no other way to explain it.When these muscles are in a constant spasm,it can cause urine retention, burning in the rectum, burning after urinating,and urinary frequency. I thought I had a UTI or prostatitis,but the doctor said I had no infection.I think the problems I am having are due to these muscles being in a constant Spasm.I was doing a search on the I-net, and I found a forum that is for people who have pudendal nerve entrapment. They said the pudendal nerve can cause Levator Spasms and the golf ball feeling that I have. They also said these spasms can cause urinary problems too.The pudendal nerve runs vertically down each side of the buttocks near the butt crack and then they branch off and go to the penis ,testicles,and the Levator Muscles.Several people on this forum had surgery to correct this problem.Some were 50-75% better and some got worse.My doctor said I should try physical therapy and see if it works. I agree. I have not had any anal fissures.I would hate to have anal fissures on top of the problems I already have.
JODY23
Fibre Addict

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Oct 2011, 19:33

i'm sorry that u have suffered frm this for so long, i didn't know there is such a thing. If surgery can help, probanly u shld give it a shot?
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby JODY23 » 28 Oct 2011, 19:45

If the physical therapy doesn't work,I might have the surgery done.There are only two doctors that do surgery on the pudendal nerve. One is in Houston, Texas and the other doctor is in Phoenix,Arizona.
JODY23
Fibre Addict

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Oct 2011, 19:56

ya, try out the physical therapy first. Take care of your bowel movements too, to avoid having more pains like fissure / hems
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby JODY23 » 28 Oct 2011, 20:02

I have not had any bowel problems, just urinating problems.My doctor told me that some people have constipation problems with Levator Spasms.
JODY23
Fibre Addict

Postby dwarfs8 » 28 Oct 2011, 20:15

good for you then jody, keep it up!
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby JODY23 » 28 Oct 2011, 20:19

Thanks!
JODY23
Fibre Addict

Postby linda » 29 Oct 2011, 09:43

Hi Jody,
I have had these spasms for about 8 years on and off but never really knew what they were until I got this fissure and my CRS explained what it was. He said if I had them again there was something they could do in the office to try and help, but that's as much info as I have.
Your golf ball analogy is exactly what I feel. Mine always come in the middle of the night, last about 10-30 minutes then just go away. Mine have everything to do with diet. It first began when I started taking Metamucil caps at night (I have always had constipation problems) When I stopped the Metamucil the pains went away. About a year ago I started eating Kashi cereal and pains came back. Just recently I had them again when I started my fissure friendly diet so I'm careful to eat the high fiber items early in the day.
If you haven't seen a CRS yet maybe you could try and make some calls and see if any in your area have in office treatments for this.
Good luck!!!
linda
Salt Bather

Topics: 5