Fissure Diet?? Please Help

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Fissure Diet?? Please Help

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Oct 2011, 15:43

I have heard there is a "fissure diet" can anyone give me any info on this?? I am so tired of avoiding food. I eat Activia and bran flakes every morning. Oatmeal and Triscuits for lunch, and usually chicken and salad or veggies for dinner. That is my menu everyday. Boring!! I have cut out all junk food and soda and drink only water. I am starving!! and losing weight. I take 2 colace at night which have stopped working. I am either passing large, painful BM's or small and hard and going several times a day because it hurts so bad to go I have to stop. I have learned since coming here to try Miralax and I will!! But looking for some other things I can eat. I also have diverticulosis so no seeds, corn, or nuts
Last edited by Sue1962 on 16 Oct 2011, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forgot to add something
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Re: Fissure Diet?? Please Help

Postby dwarfs8 » 16 Oct 2011, 18:19

Hi sue, I think u r alr on ur way to the fissure diet. Rem to drink plenty of water with as much fiber u r taking else it can still cause hard large stools. Tr prune juice n magnesium supplement to soften n regularity of bm. Miralax is gd for many ppl here too.
Read topic "my success story"
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Topics: 19

Postby Guest » 16 Oct 2011, 18:47

Hi Sue,
I know they cause gas which can be painful with a fissure, but beans are really high fiber. Also peas- pea soup. The fiber one bars have 9 grams and I think are 180 something calories. I know applesauce kind of sucks but it gives you a little extra calories and should be safe. I say stay near 20-25 grams of fiber and don't go overboard! Like dwarf said already " drink plenty of water."
I'm not sure how you feel about peanut butter, but it's really high in calories. Maybe just a couple of tbsp of some really good peanut butter. I ate the smart balance with omega 3's.
Fissure diet means to eat safe foods that aren't constipating or causes harder bm's. Be sure and avoid sharp foods as they can come out scratchy. I couldn't eat nuts! Some don't have any trouble... Also well cooked veggies and (some ) fruits seem to come out better than raw or hard.

Postby Sue1962 » 16 Oct 2011, 19:58

I was drinking prune juice and eating prunes, maybe not enough...didn't really do much but give me lots of gas. I will give the beans, peas and fiber one bars. love applesauce and peanut butter will try that too. Thanks for the info
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby dwarfs8 » 16 Oct 2011, 23:17

prunes doesn't help me, but prune juice does help me.
Also, u may try natural softeners, like flaxseeds, oats
dwarfs8
King Fissure

Postby bigbabyboy » 18 Oct 2011, 09:15

I drink prune juice everyday, and it really helps me. But also try Activia yogurt...the probiotics are really good for proper bowel function.
bigbabyboy
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Val76 » 19 Oct 2011, 08:46

I eat also fish....that gives me very soft and small BM. You can try also dried fruits like apricot and figues. They taste good and have some calories to don`t loose more weight.
When I want to eat sthg sweet I eat ice cream (as I avoid choclate etc.), but only the ones without cream that are made with low fat milk.
Eggs are also ok for me...
Val76
Salt Bather

Topics: 6

Postby jax » 04 Nov 2011, 11:41

I find that taking Miralax helps eliminate any bleeding from my fissure that I have had for the last few months. However, how long should I keep this up safely? I am 25 and I dont want my body to get reliant on the laxative. (I do only take 1/4 of the recommended cap of Miralax)
jax
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby dwarfs8 » 05 Nov 2011, 01:46

hi Jax, if you go thru this thread/other threads under the diet/supplements, you should be able to find ideas to replace Miralax. You are right that depending on OTC laxative/softeners is not good for the body in the long run.
dwarfs8
King Fissure