Botox or LIS? your answer can make all the difference

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Re: Botox or LIS? your answer can make all the difference

Postby wecc » 01 Nov 2011, 17:14

Hi Steve… you have it wrong...the CRS is ready to rock and roll...its me that is putting off the LIS.... if my pain has been 1-2 for the last few weeks rather than 10 as it was befor, why not at the very least try something that is less invasive? Let say the Botox does not work, than I can always go for the LIS. However given my pain is so low and such, why not give it a shot…Its one thing if it was this way for just a few days…however I am going on 10 days now with really no pain during or after a BM.
Many on this site that had a LIS were at a 8-10 right before, I am at a 1-2. While you are 100% correct that LIS has 98% cure rate, there is a much longer healing time. In the New England Medical journal, over a three year period, while 60% that had Botox need to go on to LIS simply because it did not work for them, 40% were completly cured with no reoccurrence in that time frame. Of course they had to changed their diet and such. So my question becomes, what is the downside goign with the Botox first....I could very be on the other side of this healing and I could be in that 40%
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 9

Postby PaulsPain » 01 Nov 2011, 17:41

I asked about botox since I was scared of surgery. My surgeon told me that I had to much scar tissue built up to be effective in his experience.
I did have an LIS and it was a godsend for me. I have absolutely no regrets even though it was a long recovery for me. I found out that I have an underlying disease causing my fissures, IBD, and I still have fissures that open up. Now I can actually heal them. Pre-LIS I was in pure hell. But this hell would cycle. I would have a couple of months where it didn't bother me as much and then it would get worse. I did this for about 5 years. The spasms are what really I got tired of.
Good luck with your decision.
PaulsPain
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 01 Nov 2011, 18:42

I think medical literature has the ointments at around 60%, :roll: I have found all the statistics vary from reading all over the internet... I think shakeit said it best. Botox will require patience! As we all know all butt surgery does, but Botox is very iffy and if you have been exhausted by going through the ups and down and just want to get it over with then you may want to go for the rolls royce. If you are willing to experiment with less invasive, and less successful procedures, then there is no harm in that either.
Wecc, there have been tons of folks on this forum who cancelled and backed out the LIS because they felt better or thought their fissures were healing. I had a good month with no horrible pain and then all hell broke loose again.They are very evil and fool us as I'm sure you know. Happyass went years to my knowledge and had a terrible setback that pushed him into surgery. :roll:
It really is all personal choice and I think a lot depends on state of mind. I think I would have lost mine if I had continued with the re-tearing...I'm still looking for anyone who's healed over 3 months from Botox. I think there was a boardie who had 4 shots in here and healed, but other than her I haven't found it to be successful with the folks who have posted in here.... Image
I also agree with Steve, if any doctor told me incontinence was a possibility, I would seek a second opinion.

Postby wecc » 02 Nov 2011, 20:00

Hi dawn...I hope all is outstanding. Just to set the record straight, my dr never told much about incontinence. In fact, what he did say it is very low. This was solely based on my decision. I know many had been pain free for a few months and then out of the blue they went to a 10 in one day. All I am saying is given its been over two weeks now that I have been pain free, I see no reason to have a LIS at this time. This is not to say that if I went back up to a 10, I would not have an LIS ASAP. Just given all I have been doing along with the meds and such, perhaps I see how this goes before I rush into this. Again many of the posts I have read was that a majority were at an 8-10 prior to having the LIS
Believe me; I am not saying this because I have a fear of this surgery or the "What ifs"…not all at. I know some believed that I was choosing Botox because of this and it was just putting this off. However I will share that I spent two tours in the Middle East where many days we all lived in fear. LIS would be a walk in the park in comparison…I just think it is a logical step and I should exhausts other means before.
I have lived about a year where my pain was an 8-10 most days. About 2 months ago I started the nif cream 3 x a day, soaking and watching my diet. In the last two week my pain went form an 8 to a 1 and now I do not feel a thing during or after a BM. However with hat said, the real test will be once I stop the nif cream and I could be back at a 10 and they I will be in the op room faster than you can say AF….
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist

Postby TonyStone » 02 Nov 2011, 20:11

You will know without a doubt when its time, so if you dont feel that yet, go with your gut...
TonyStone
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 14

Postby Guest » 02 Nov 2011, 21:46

Hey wecc,
I was addressing Sue on the incontinence as I believe Steve was too.
I agree with Tony, you will know without a doubt when it's time.

Postby Sue1962 » 05 Nov 2011, 10:02

Hey Wecc
I have been fighting this for several years. I was "good" for a long time and then out of the blue, the litte bugger reared it's ugly head in May. I have been miserable 5 months out of 7. It is totally a personal decision. I am fed up!! I want my life back!! I was scheduled with a general surgeon on Nov 8th, as there are no CRS's where I live in MD. I cancelled that appt and will be driving almost 2 hours to see a very highly recommended CRS Dec 1st. I too am about at a 1-2 most days now, but even if I am pain free. I am having surgery. I don't want a band aid on this problem, I want it fixed for good. Glad your feeling better!! I also agree you will know when it is time to have the surgery.
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby wecc » 05 Nov 2011, 12:28

Hi Sue….so you believe at this point you will not totally heal? Like I said up above, I been mostly pain free for 10 days or so. Today, I am a bit uncomfortable…meaning maybe a 1 compared to the last few weeks of zero. However, I can very well remember not to long ago where I could not even sit and every BM was a 10! I spent most of the day in pain. You could very well be right that in a few weeks or a month I can be right back where I started… If that happens, than I will have the LIS faster than my daughter can say the word…mall Image
At this point, if I can get to late January that would be outstanding. I just want to get past all the holiday fun with my family.
wecc
Proctosphincteranalogist