Hello!!

Please come in! Start your own personal thread, tell us a bit about yourself...and your fissure, of course. Welcome!

Return to New to the forum? Introduce yourself here

Hello!!

Postby GrnIdGrl » 13 Nov 2011, 11:46

So I found this site when I google searched "good lateral sphincterotomy stories"
Glad I did. I have had an internal fissure (or more) for the better (or worse depending on who you ask) of 12 years. Pain... bleeding.... and not just a little bleeding- were talking everytime I tell a Doctor that doesnt know me they freak out bleeding.
About 5 years back I had the botox- which only helped for about a month. I will be honest and say I haven't been totally on top of trying the diet and stool softeners. I do exercise regularly and drink lots of water though. Its not necessarily constipation that brings on symptoms though.. I have them whether I have soft bms or not. Image
They recommend the LIS but Im scared to death. I havent read any stories-- I just hear about the pain and the possibility of incontinence. I already hardly ever have the urge to go- so Im afraid of losing control of the muscles also. Its decision time now though. They want me to figure out what the hell Im going to do now.. speak now or forever hold my peace. Im not crazy for the Dr that wants to do it.. but I dont want to change at this point. Image Some words of wisdom and support would be helpful. Thanks everybody.
GrnIdGrl

Topics: 1

Re: Hello!!

Postby shakeit » 13 Nov 2011, 14:29

Hi GrnIdGrl
I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering. I had an anal fissure on and off for a year and half. The last four months were absolutely horrendous, I was in extreme pain for 6-8 hours a day. I tried diet, stool softerners, water etc and although I know its helps, I was still in pain. I decided have to have the LIS surgery and it happened this week Thursday so I'm only 3 days post op. It was very scary, and afterwards I was terrified of the first BM. I had read a lot of good stories on here about LIS which gave me the confidence to go for it. I also chose LIS over botox/fissurectomy as I'd read on here that the fissurectomy can be very painful and botox success rates in the long term are not as good at the LIS. LIS is meant to have an over 90% success rate so if you're in a lot of pain its probably worth a shot. Go with a CRS who has a good record and hasnt made anyone incontinent. Incontinence is usually in regards to gas and liquid and thats only in a minority of cases.
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9

Postby Deleted User 579 » 13 Nov 2011, 15:54

Hi GrnIdGrl - welcome! I'm sorry you have to be here, but I'm sure you'll find a lot of support and great advice from the folks here. We all definitely understand your situation!
I had an LIS in May and I'm SO glad I did. It gave me my life back! Many LIS vets here say the same. The chances of incontinence are very low - and, as Shakeit says, it's mostly to gas or liquid stool, and almost never to solid stool. Even incontinence to gas or liquid stool (where you might get 'skid marks') is fairly low. Some folks here have had 'leakage' post-surgery, which means that they sometimes feel like they haven't wiped enough after a BM, and have to clean up a bit a few hours or so after a BM. But many of the folks who have this say it improves over time and they still don't regret the surgery.
I had a wee complication after my LIS - I developed a small abscess at the incision site, which eventually formed a small fistula. I had an operation for that in late June (a fistulotomy) and now things are healing very well and it's almost as though I never had a fissure. Developing an infection (and an abscess and fistula) at the incision site is a possible complication of an LIS, and I believe it is more common than incontinence. It did suck having to get another surgery, but even with this complication, I have no regrets about getting teh LIS. I wasn't going to heal without it and I simply couldn't continue with the agony of the fissure and the impact it was having on my health and my life.
For me, there was really no choice - but surgery is a very personal decision and you will know when and if it is right for you. Don't let anyone push you into it. You have to be comfortable with that choice. Do the research on the the surgery, and, as Shakeit says, make sure you get a good surgeon and then go from there. There are lots of great people here who will support you and offer good advice, whatever you decide. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby pita111 » 14 Nov 2011, 20:02

Hello, I had the LIS surgery 4 days ago and feel relieved already. I have had an anal fissure on/off for years....but this last episode lasted 8 weeks and really got my attention. CRS said it is most likely chronic and would likely never heal completely. He recommended the LIS and WOW...I couldn't believe it, I feel great! I am not out of the woods yet....but NO SPASMS 4-5 hrs a day and dreading BMs. Today was my BM day....Yup I had 4 BMs. Little sore today but I hadn't gone much the previous 3 days. I drink 4 oz prune juice each AM, take 2 stoolsofteners in PM and drink Metamucil twice a day. No pain meds! I also use bactrim ointment several times a day. I went in hospital at 10am and was released at 2PM. Surgery was approx 30 minutes. I woke up with alittle discomfort but no pain. Took pain meds the first day and that was it. I still cringe when a BM starts.....but the pain hasn't returned. I take lots of warm soaks to keep area clean. Keep the stools soft. Drink lots of water! I do seem to "toot" (ie have gas) more often and I am still tender/sore, but not in pain.
Find a good CRS....mine knew what I had before he looked based on what I described!
I really really dreaded having the surgery, but I needed my life back! IT WAS SO WORTH IT!
I know your pain and wish you luck! Keep us posted!
pita111
Fibre Addict