Worried about sigmoidoscopy - any ideas?

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Worried about sigmoidoscopy - any ideas?

Postby bluefizz » 19 Nov 2011, 04:45

I've posted here before - originally diagnosed by GP with small fissure at front of anus (I'm a guy) - no blood, but paper-cut type pain on defacation, which lasted for ages. Worst when walking (Friction?) and sitting. Better when lying. Never keeps me awake.
Had a rectoscope exam in mid August - no sign of fissure or scars.
Pain continued - I went back to GP who wrote to colorectal surgeon. She offered flexible sigmoidoscopy and said its probably Proctalgia Fugax?
Pain continues - typically none when I defecate, or slight stinging - but then builds slowly - often comes suddenly when I move. Again worse when I walk. Varies between stinging and sometimes feeling stronger, a bit like a nerve pain.
To cut a long story short, the exam is this thursday and I'm spooked by dark fears of rectal/anal tumours, polyps etc - although I've been told this is not why they're doing it. More to rule out things (I'm 50) before they treat it as a nerve related problem.
Thing is - the pain is so specific and very low down in anus. Often a feeling of pressure there too- which I can stop by 'sucking things up' if you get my meaning.
Anyone been here before? I feel like a condemned man right now and would welcome any views.
bluefizz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 7

Re: Worried about sigmoidoscopy - any ideas?

Postby Guest » 19 Nov 2011, 18:23

Hey Bluefizz,
The pressure sounds like spasms to me. I had the pressure and a feeling like something was pushing out of me, then there would be the clenching tight feeling...

Postby jenny2 » 19 Nov 2011, 20:56

hi bluefizz, i had a colonscopy done when i had the anal fissure and it came out ok. i was kind of nervous though that they would find something. can you tell me what a retoscope involves? do they knock you out. i had a anoscope but not a retoscope.
jenny2
Proctosphincteranalogist

Topics: 35

Postby bluefizz » 20 Nov 2011, 13:01

First, thanks to Dawn for advise on pressure - certainly when it's there my anus feels to the touch very tight and closed up.
Second, I think what I had done in august was aanoscope by another name - visual exam of anus and rectum but no further. So all good and healthy 3 months ago.
Rationally this reassures me - and I know that the flex sig is more to cover the doc's back than in expectation of issues higher up. Indeed GP was happy to sign me off for no further treatment but as pain remains I insisted.
Frustration has been that because they found no fissure I've not known how to treat it - barrier creams, diltiazem to loosen muscles, stretches, nothing. Etc - and have flitted from one to another.
As pain, soreness is worse when i walk and when stressed my belief is that its a friction- spasm-soreness cycle. Certainly itfeels as if the folds on one side irritate the other and righthand side outer sphincter feels thicker than left.
Hoping this is clear and they then investigate spasm/nerves
Would be very interested to hear if any one has had post heal pain of this kind as myGP insists there was a visible AF back in spring. CanAF's heal wrong? Change anal fit, mechanics?
bluefizz
Fibre Addict

Postby Iona » 20 Nov 2011, 13:38

I am having one tomorrow morning! I wish you good luck with yours, I am so scared about it, I totally understand your concerns.
Mine is not being done with me knocked out. I think I would prefer it to be honest but I am telling myself its only a few mins of my life hopefully for a diognosis and in the end a cure!
It is better to know and get on the road to treatment.
Your not a condemned man!
Good luck with yours,
Iona
Iona
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby bluefizz » 20 Nov 2011, 13:46

Good luck Iona
I had a full colonoscopy 8 years ago and was partially sedated. I'm told the flexible sig is less uncomfortable. I hope we both come out ok.
I just don't quite see why you check 18 inches up
a tube for pain at the very end. Do you have a confirmed AF or bleeding. I've never really had blood.
Goodluck and thanks so much for positivity
bluefizz
Fibre Addict

Postby Iona » 20 Nov 2011, 13:57

I have only confirmed it myself, with the help of this forum!
My GP didnt even have a look!
I have had a skin tag for years - which appeared after some constipation way back when - I think this has caused the tear to get worse and I have all the signs and symptoms. Fissure symptoms started after I have phneumonia and was all full of drugs and dehydrated.
I hope to hell it doesnt suprise me and turn out to be something more sinister as I usually think the worst but havent this time!
I totally agree with you on the full scan! My main concern is they will make the tear worse wiggling the scope around as it is right on the edge.
Well I guess we have to try someting right?
All my best,
Iona
Iona
Fibre Addict

Topics: 9

Postby bluefizz » 20 Nov 2011, 14:34

I had an anoscopy - rather large rigid tube inserted in anus to view it and rectum - all clear and more uncomfortable than painful as the pump a little air in to open
You out. I think the sigmoid will not hurt more as the flexible element is a much thinner thong passed through the wider tube
In fact my pain reduced for 24 hours after as everything felt nicely stretched and dilated - a pleasant change from tightness and spasms.
Good luck again - it wouldbe good tohear you get on
bluefizz
Fibre Addict