Chia seeds

Discuss changes in diet that have helped you manage your fissure, or any supplements or medications/creams that have been effective.

Return to Diet Tips / Supplements

Chia seeds

Postby beachgirl » 21 Nov 2011, 11:52

I am curious... I have preferred chia seeds over flax as a source of fiber. And they seem to be more bulking then benefiber because they have already absorbed water hence you know what you are getting and don't need to compensate and drink extra water. i am wondering why i haven't heard more discussion about them?
my concern about flax is twofold. one is they are estrogenic and i don't want more estrogen; and two, they go rancid quickly when ground. chia lasts forever until you soak them.
thanks, all!
beachgirl
Salt Bather

Topics: 30

Re: Chia seeds

Postby Em » 22 Nov 2011, 00:10

Chia seeds gave me awful stomach ache.
Em
Salt Bather

Topics: 5

Postby MonkeyButt » 28 Aug 2012, 16:25

I bought some on someone's recommendation (they don't know the full story of my fissure though) and haven't tried them yet. I'm kind of afraid. Is bulk going to make my stool hard? Or keep it soft? I'm confused.
MonkeyButt
Fibre Addict

Topics: 3

Postby mindfulnesshealing » 14 Oct 2012, 17:16

I've used Chia seeds(1 tbsp/day) and they work well to keep things moving. Just be sure to soak them first so they absorb lots of water. I don't believe they are a common food source in North America so perhaps that is why there has not been allot written on their effects. JBird
mindfulnesshealing
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Fissure UK » 28 Feb 2020, 09:35

beachgirl wrote:I am curious... I have preferred chia seeds over flax as a source of fiber. And they seem to be more bulking then benefiber because they have already absorbed water hence you know what you are getting and don't need to compensate and drink extra water. i am wondering why i haven't heard more discussion about them?
my concern about flax is twofold. one is they are estrogenic and i don't want more estrogen; and two, they go rancid quickly when ground. chia lasts forever until you soak them.
thanks, all!

Hi Beachgirl-sorry I am late to the thread. I only saw these 4 posts when I created a thread about Chia seeds that I have only just discovered.

However, back on topic,I have had the flax going sort of rancid when I have ground them up myself and stored them in a plastic container. I have found the "ready ground golden flax seeds in the foil bag to be ok in that I have not noticed they going rancid. Maybe I use a packet in about 3wks or so. I`ve NOT tried the organic just the ordinary one. These may be even better?
https://www.rootsfruitsandflowers.com/p ... d-flaxseed
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Topics: 7

Postby Fissure UK » 28 Feb 2020, 09:44

MonkeyButt wrote:I bought some on someone's recommendation (they don't know the full story of my fissure though) and haven't tried them yet. I'm kind of afraid. Is bulk going to make my stool hard? Or keep it soft? I'm confused.

I find them ok at the amount I am taking. You could start taking a very small amount, then build on that as and when you need to.

post157380.html#p157380
Fissure UK
Salt Bather

Topics: 7