In the Uk and don't know what to do!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

In the Uk and don't know what to do!

Postby Sue27uk » 05 Dec 2011, 12:26

Hmm, I really don't know what the answer is anymore. For those of you who do not know, I have been having problems with my bum (for want of a better phrase!) since last March. After having lots of gynae problems and an op later, I was left with all this fissure stuff. They have looked and said I have two fissures now. I had botox 2 weeks ago which has caused me a serious re-tear and am in agony again. I really don't want to go for the botox again, and am awaiting a follow-up appointment. I can still feel slight spasms even with botox and have horrendous pain (which I know you all can relate to). I am resigned to the fact I will probably need surgery but the hospital I'm at are very reluctant to do this yet as they have said that it is a last option. I can see this stretching on and on, and not being offered the surgery if I am going to refuse the botox. Anyone in the UK offer any advice? How long were you made to wait for surgery? Would going private help me at all? I went for a private consultation in August and he said I was not a surgery candidate. Would anyone advise going to see someone different? I feel like my life is on hold, I am having to sell my car now and am getting rather frustrated with it all. I have to admit I am feeling rather nervous at the thought of surgery but feel I am running out of options now :(
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Topics: 21

Re: In the Uk and don't know what to do!

Postby StevePain » 05 Dec 2011, 14:28

Hi Sue, It took about 2 years to finally get to the surgery stage for me, but they'd exhausted all other options first which probably made things worse, I tried everything possible with no results, unfortunately this seems to be the norm here in the UK, the NHS system doesn't work when you need it the most and since most docs have no clue about fissures and the pain they cause they simply dismiss you and say it will go away on it's own, I was told that on several occasions by my GP and even by one CRS, they really think it's not that bad!!
StevePain
King Fissure

Topics: 45

Postby Sue1962 » 05 Dec 2011, 18:31

Wow!!! sorry for your pain Sue!! I am Sue also, I don't understand why in the UK, you can't have the surgery if you choose to?? We are definately lucky on that aspect. My CRS wanted to continue to try and heal with ointments and diet, I told him no, been doing that for years and am done. Ready for surgery, so, I am scheduled for 1/9/12 and anxious as hell, but ready!! I hope you get some help and relief soon Image
Sue1962
Fissureologist

Topics: 36

Postby val » 07 Dec 2011, 13:39

Sorry the botox hasn't worked Sue - not surprised it hasn't though! Our health"care" system sucks - it may be free but it's rubbish!
I think if it was me, I would get another opinion - it might be worth the money to get someone who will listen to you and respect your wishes.
val
King Fissure

Topics: 86

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Dec 2011, 06:44

Aw thanks Val, I have just had my follow-up appointment come through for 21st Feb. I will see what they say then and go from there. I seem to have developed some annoying itching and wondered if it has come from the botox. It never ends does it?! I definitely don't think I am going to have the botox again. Hows things with you? Hope they are getting better for you :D
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby Sue27uk » 11 Dec 2011, 06:45

Thank you Sue btw! I really hope your surgery helps and you have a quick recovery! Good luck! :)
Sue27uk
Fissureologist

Postby shakeit » 12 Dec 2011, 10:57

Hi Sue
I'm in the UK too. My surgeon put me on diltiazem cream and when that didn't work suggested surgery straight away. We talked about Botox and he said the success rates are not as high as LIS so I opted for the op. I would've had to wait three months approx on the NHS but I went private. It was around Ј200 for an initial consultation, Ј100 for subsequent appts and then surgery fees after that around Ј1000. They kept me in over night which I was glad of because I'm prone to getting nervous. Fees might be less with no overnight stay. I was in so much pain I didnt feel like I could hold out for a few months, I also found it difficult to work etc so figured I'd be able to make up the cash if I was out of pain sooner. I had a bad experience with a previous CRS on the NHS and then my GP recommended a CRS she knew to be good. I'm in SW London and if you're around here let me know and I can give you the details of my surgeon.
Interestingly though when I went for second opinion about my fissure this CRS suggested botox fissurectomy as he didnt recommend LIS for women who may decide to have children via a natural birth or who have had children already. But he is in the minorty I believe with those opinions. He also said LIS will likely cure the fissure.
If by any chance you work for the public sector, charity etc you can join a very resonably priced private=ish healthcare provider and if the NHS wait time is very long they will do the surgery for you. Details are:
http://www.benenden.org.uk/
Wish you luck with getting the surgery done!
shakeit
Salt Bather

Topics: 9