New member with question

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

New member with question

Postby Guest » 07 Oct 2007, 17:32

I recently had a sphincterectomy on Sept 17 to help heal a recurring fissure. Was doing pretty good for the first two weeks and then had a set back 3 days ago. The pain now feels the same as it did the day or 2 after surgery. Needless to say I was very discouraged. I happen to find this forum during a google search and was surprised when I started to read all of the postings. I guess I was overly optimistic in my recovery time. I also had a anal tag removed as well. I noticed that I wake up feeling relative good until the morning BM which then starts the agravation process. Prior to surgery, sitting was creating rectal spasms and walking tended to relieve the spasms. After surgery I now find that walking, especially long distances, greatly aggravates the rectal pain and sitting actually makes me feel better. The complete opposite of what I experienced before the surgery. Has anyone experienced this as well.

Re: New member with question

Postby juney » 07 Oct 2007, 18:17

i think since you're still less than a month out from your surgery, don't worry too much about it yet. just keep doing everything right, with diet/supplements/etc and keep monitoring your "progress" over the next few weeks. are you taking any mild pain reliever? you're body is probably still weak and maybe sore from the surgery. give it some more time and then consult your surgeon again.
i had my first sphincterotomy in may. after 4 months and still feeling the same pain as before the surgery, i had another. it's been a little over a week since my 2nd surgery. it is a possibility that your surgeon didn't cut deep enough into the sphincter to relieve you of the spasms. i wasn't having spasms, but still daily pain so the surgeon cut the other side of the sphincter this time.
i wouldn't worry too much yet though, as some people can take 6-8 or even 10 weeks to heal.
juney
King Fissure

Topics: 36

Postby Deleted User 5 » 07 Oct 2007, 18:30

It is good (if you can call it that) that it was a post-surgery type pain, and not pre-surgery. I think it is quite possible you have had a setback in the healing of the actual LIS cut. In and of itself, that should be no real problem. But it does push your timetable for healing back, which can be bad enough in and of itself.
I wouldn't worry about the type activity/pain situation being reversed, because you are now dealing with a different type "wound " i.e., the surgical one. Get all the rest you can and lie around as much as you can until the pain levels decrease again. neither sitting nor walking are going to do you much good right now, though both are unavoidable. Just try not to overdo either, and stay on the AF diet for the next few months, at least...if you can!
And don't forget the easily overlooked power of warm baths to bring healing blood to the area...
Deleted User 5

Postby happyass » 08 Oct 2007, 06:57

hi johnny,
when is your next appt with CRS/dr to follow up on your surgery progress?
do you feel that you are straining and/or are constipated post-surgery and now?
how is your diet?
not to create more concern, but i hope you are not developing a complication. are you having a discharge that you can tell? it's possible that your pain could be an abscess or pain from the skin tag removal as that would hurt and take some time to heal as well.
give yourself a good 6 months to really feel normal again. but if you are still in lots of pain after a month of surgery, oct. 17, then definitely go see your doc again.
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 08 Oct 2007, 08:16

Ok LIS survivers,
I have surgery this Friday and my Dr. is telling me to rest for a "long weekend" (Friday to Tuesday) and that I should be able to do anything that my pain level can tolerate. He basically said, with the exception of heavy lifting or hard BMs, nothing could really damage the cut made from the LIS.
Kim and Juney are leaving me with the impression that I should try and stay in bed for at least week. The problem I have is that I naturally have too much energy and that would be VERY hard for me to do. I also think that's not good for one's back and neck.
So is the bed rest critical, or is it a choice for faster healing. I just want to get the scoop from people who've been through the procedure. I really wish there was some way to have Dr. experience the surgeries they conduct.