Intense prickly itching after LIS?? Let's discuss!

Are you having, or have you had a Lateral Internal Sphincterotomy (LIS)? Please share your experiences here, or ask any questions.

Return to LIS - Considering surgery or already had it?

Intense prickly itching after LIS?? Let's discuss!

Postby recoveringfiss » 11 Dec 2011, 23:10

Hello,
I had a sphincterotomy on November 17 (3 weeks and 3 days ago) to treat a chronic anal fissure that I had been dealing with for over a year. I did not have stitches put in post op. For the first couple of days of my recovery, I had pain and some bleeding from the incision site during and after a bowel movement. However, this subsided after sticking to a high-fiber diet and drinking a lot of liquids.
The issue that I am currently dealing with is an intense, prickly itching at the fissure site, and also at the incision site (fissure is top left of anus, incision site is mid-right of anus). It feels as if I am constantly being pricked in my anus by tiny needles. At times it feels like it is not just the fissure/incision cite, but in and around my anus in general. This prickly itching worsens when I sit down, and immediately after a bowel movement. I saw my CRS at the 11 day mark after surgery, and he said that it was a "healing itch." He prescribed me hydrocortisone 2.5%, which I use sparingly (it helps, although it treats the symptom and not the cause). Back in August (prior to my surgery), I had intense itching in the area. At that time my CRS diagnosed me with an anal yeast infection and prescribed Nystatin cream, which cleared it up. I don't know if this current itching is related, but my CRS examined me at the 11-day post op appointment and stated that it did not look like I had an infection of any sort, so I tend to rule that out. Nonetheless, I have just recently started using the Nystatin cream sparingly just in case.
I am still dealing with this issue 24 days post-op with little improvement. Since surgery I have kept up with sitz baths and cleaning the area with water only. I wet toilet paper and dab after a BM, and I do not touch the area with soap or other chemicals (besides the creams noted above- which I have only very recently begun using).
Has anyone else dealt with prickly/itchy/tingly sensations after LIS? How long did it last for you? Will it ever completely go away? Please let me know if you require any additional info. I have no other complications from the surgery that I know of, and I am an otherwise healthy 27 year old male. Thank you in advance for your time.
I almost forgot: this problem is driving me freaking crazy. Thanks.
Recoveringfiss
recoveringfiss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Re: Intense prickly itching after LIS?? Let's discuss!

Postby Guest » 12 Dec 2011, 08:33

Hi RF,
That area is super sensitive to any residue or moisture after LIS. The fissure does have a prickly feeling for about 6 weeks or until it heals.
It takes a lot of patience, but things will improve. I found letting the area air as much as possible kept the itchiness down. It sounds like you are doing all the right things with your routine. I would rinse several times throughout the day because, blow dry on cool or air dry. Any little bit of residue or moisture will cause irritation or itching...

Postby recoveringfiss » 12 Dec 2011, 09:39

Thank you Dawn. It is comforting to know that others have experienced these symtpoms post-op. Do you know how long this will last? Has it completely went away for you or others? And how long does that take? Glad I found this forum!
recoveringfiss
Fibre Addict

Topics: 4

Postby Guest » 12 Dec 2011, 15:02

Your Welcome! The itchy part didn't last all that long for me and the prickly fissure did take 6-8 weeks to get better. There will be all kinds of random sensations in that area while you're healing but believe me, it's all part of it. I think it varies on the amount of time all of these symptoms subside but they do eventually... You just kind of got to roll with it :roll: . It's annoying but I just counted my blessings and tried to be patient. I think the most annoying part for me has been the irritation as I had a hard time with a little leakage that kept my skin irritated. It will gradually get better,especially from the point you are at right now, since it's still so early but it can be slow so don't think it's not going to happen! That area seems extra fragile to get irritated after LIS and seems to take forever to get strong. I wish I could give you a time line but we're all different. I had the tag removed with my LIS so that gave me a little extra grief with the irritation and it actually still showed improvements up to a year... I know that sounds like a long time but I guess since that area has to be used constantly it just takes longer than a typical place on our body to heal... You will see improvements, but as I've said to others before (lol), count weeks, not days because it can be like watching grass grow with that area...
Take care and hang in there!! Patience :)

Postby JR » 22 Dec 2011, 15:08

Ive beenn looking all day for a post like this and I found it.. thought the prickly sensation wasn't normal, but apparently it isn't.
(sigh of relief) :D
JR
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Postby C0nz » 23 Dec 2011, 09:29

I also found letting the area air really helped with that
it is true about the odd sensations that come from the surgery site, every day they seem to change
C0nz
Fibre Addict

Topics: 2

Postby Pugluver88 » 02 Sep 2016, 04:24

Awesome to hear I'm dealing with same
I'm on week 4 recovery and it feels like I just got operated on again. Wondering if I should toss on ice pack or not
Pugluver88
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1

Postby Skiponzo » 02 Sep 2016, 11:45

Ice pack can't hurt but unfortunately you may have to deal with pain and some weird feelings for quite awhile. I just past my 5 month mark and still get "tweeks" of pain and have odd feelings down there every so often. Hoping that by Christmas (which marks the 1 year anniversary of the fissure rearing it's ugly head) I will be able to NOT think about my ass for an entire day.
Skiponzo
Salt Bather

Topics: 2

Postby Pugluver88 » 21 Dec 2016, 22:39

I'm still dealing with the random pain I find baby cream wth zinc is key other day at work I had bm n didn't have wipes oh man... tp is the devil!!! I also am a kinder teacher and lemme tell you.., chairs are bad and the floor !!!
Pugluver88
Fibre Addict

Topics: 1