Help!! Please

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

Help!! Please

Postby JR » 28 Dec 2011, 09:05

So a week ago I had lis. I Know its still early in the game to be worried but I do have a question that seems to be bothering me a lot. I had a chance to look back there and notice that on the 9 o clock side of my anus is a swollen area. Its painful to touch but I seem to not notice it much if I haven't had a BM. If I do it seems to get irritated and is slightly painful. Could this be an abscess or a fistula?? or is this normal???
any help??
JR
Salt Bather

Topics: 17

Re: Help!! Please

Postby Deleted User 579 » 28 Dec 2011, 13:11

Hey JR - it's possible that the incision site is just a bit irritated (I'm guessing that your incision site is at 9 o'clock, since that's where mine was). The swelling could very well just be from your recent surgery. It can take a while for the tissue there to settle down. Keep an eye on it, though, of course. When I developed my abscess/fistula it was because the incision site healed the wrong way (too quickly, and it formed a 'roof'). My symptoms were a raw sensation, swelling that got more pronounced over time, and sharp, stabbing senstations, like someone was jabbing a needle in my butt. Image
I hope I'm not causing you too much anxiety. It is very possible that your butt is just in normal recovery mode. I just thought I'd share my experience so that you have a bit of an idea what to watch out for. When is your follow up? Perhaps you can call your doc and ask about it and ask if s/he can see you?
Please try not to worry too much. It's really likely that a bit of swelling there is quite normal. I hope you're doing well today. :)
Deleted User 579

Postby JR » 30 Dec 2011, 11:54

Thanks Hope.
Im not sure whats going on!!! LOL
Well I can sometimes feel the stabby feeling but its not constant and it hardly ever causes me pain.. unless I somehow irritate it. Its strange. I dont really know what you mean by "roof" but If you could explain maybe the looks of it I can better understand what the heck im looking at.
Thanks again :)
JR
Salt Bather

Postby JR » 30 Dec 2011, 11:56

Also my follow up is on the 5th I Believe. I called the Office and explained what I was experiencing and told me that swelling was normal,,, but I don't know because I don't have swelling on the other part of my BUM!!!
Im going to beat the office up if I in fact have an abscess.
JR
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 30 Dec 2011, 12:17

Try not to worry too much JR. I had some weird swelling at about 8 weeks post-op and thought my skin tag that had been removed came back... Everything healed beautifully and I don't have another tag and I didn't have an abscess either.
That area is just so tender after surgery for awhile.

Postby JR » 30 Dec 2011, 12:50

Thanks Dawn!!!
I think Ill just heed the advice and relax.
see what the doc has to say about it all. Like you guys say im sure all is fine. I'm just over cautious I suppose. I just want everything back to normal.
But im sure you guys can understand the psychological damage this fissure has caused LOL.
How are you dawn?? eating anything you want.. boy do I wish I can.
JR
Salt Bather

Postby Guest » 30 Dec 2011, 13:52

I totally understand the psychological damage a fissure has on one and you are right to be cautious and keep an eye on things, but it's most likely just some swelling. I was a basket case with all the worry! Lol. That takes a long time to overcome and I'm not sure if it will ever completely go away, but it does get better with time! :) You had an awesome surgeon in my opinion and she told me she only had maybe two people develop an infection after surgery so I think the odds are pretty slim! You're in good hands!
I am doing great JR! Thanks for asking:) I just recently took a trip out of state and did very well with eating pretty much anything I wanted. I still try to eat pretty healthy but there have been days that I haven't really ate all that great and things come out just fine.
You will be able to eat all the things you miss soon, just do everything slowly and keep up with all the things that you should be doing as far as what's working with the bm's. Just do it all in moderation when you start to add more foods. I eat just about anything I want now and have had no problems. I think the first thing I went crazy on was Reeses Peanut Butter Cups! I think I was about two weeks post-op, Lol. I always tried to keep my fiber and water up when I did eat the bad things though:oops: . I eat chips, ice cream, hamburgers (small from MC D's), fries, all the junk I craved before when I had my fissure! We just have to be careful and not fall back into old bad habits with eating like that everyday!!
Last edited by Guest on 31 Dec 2011, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

Postby Deleted User 579 » 30 Dec 2011, 15:36

Yay, Dawn! I'm so happy you are doing so well! Mmmmm, Reeses Peanut Butter Cups (argg-drool - we need a Homer Simpson icon! Image )
I definitely understand about the psychological trauma! I was on anti-anxiety meds and anti-depression meds while I was dealing with my ordeal. :roll: It gets better, though, so hang in there, JR!
When I mentioned a 'roof', that just refers to the thin bit of skin that forms over a wound when it heals too quickly and in the wrong way - it's like the piece of skin forms the roof of a tunnel. But I agree with Dawn - I really don't think you should worry. Swelling and irritation for a while is normal. There are lots of posts here from folks who healed well that talk about that too.
I'm glad you're having a follow-up soon. That should help put your mind at ease. As Dawn says, the odds are very good that everything is just fine. :D
Deleted User 579

Postby JR » 01 Jan 2012, 12:17

Thanks again hope,
I see what you are saying and maybe if I describe what im feeling you can either relate or simply tell me im just healing.
Well it seems that its a dull ache that comes from the area it has a small lump that I can see it gets more swollen if It gets irritated. But it seems the more I walk (which I have to do) a dull pain shoots down my leg from the anus. I sometimes get a pang from there but that could just be the fissure. Im not sure what it can be. BUT I do notice that if I have taken a rather good sitz bath the "lump" of sorts seems to go down.
JR
Salt Bather

Postby JR » 01 Jan 2012, 12:18

hope thats enough description
JR
Salt Bather