What is the best way to find a reputable CRS...

Discuss any questions, problems or share your solutions here...

Return to General Anal Fissure Discussion

What is the best way to find a reputable CRS...

Postby Guest » 10 Oct 2007, 12:39

if you don't know another person with your same problem? I mean I would love to chat with another patient in my area and get opinions on a CRS, but I can't find anyone. So, what other way could I check out the CRS?
Also, could a rectal exam with an anoscope make a fissure worse? Mine maybe healed, I don't know for sure because I am having so many other problems right now.
Thanks,
Jennie

Re: What is the best way to find a reputable CRS...

Postby Deleted User 5 » 10 Oct 2007, 12:42

Often your GP would have a handle on who is best in your area, but I suppose that is not always true. Your's is a great question.
Too bad there's not a "Rate-A-Surgeon" site on the internet!
Deleted User 5

Postby Guest » 10 Oct 2007, 13:23

This has been my experience. I have seen three CRS in the course of my AF hell.
First check your health care website for Drs. in your coverage. Then google their name and see what comes up. There is one website, which I can't remember that tells you how long the doctor has been practicing. The longer the better in my opinion. You can also see if they are active in their trade by their contributions listed on other websites.
Get a list of doctors that look promising and start calling around to set up appointments. The longer it takes to set up the appointment "generally" equates to how good the Dr. is at her/his trade. This has been my experience. Set up an appointment with the best Dr. no matter how long it takes and then set up another appointment with the Dr. that seems decent and can take you the soonest. These tend to be about 2-4 weeks apart. Go to the first doctor, get checked out and see if you like her/him. If you do, then cancel the other Dr. appointment. If you are on the line or want a second opinion, stick with the second Dr. appointment and see what he/she has to say. It's nice to get a unified opinion too!

Postby Guest » 10 Oct 2007, 19:21

Chris,
That sounds like a good plan. I have seen one CRS and was really not impressed.
I am now seeing a gastro but feel that I am really telling her what to do for me...try nitro ointment, etc.
I will make an appointment with at least one more CRS. Should I tell him/her that I have been to another CRS or not say anything just to get their diagnosis?
I also worry about being examined and re-tearing the fissure if anything has healed.
Have you had surgery yet or do you plan to? If so, good luck to you!
Thanks,
Jennie

Postby happyass » 11 Oct 2007, 08:08

Hi Jennie,
What other issues are you having?
The way I came up with my CRS was that my general practitioner actually recommended him and gave me a referral. I didn't bother going to see him until about 6-8 months later when things got really much worse.
In the meantime, I googled the best CRS in Washington DC and he was actually on that list which gave me more incentive to finally make the appointment. Have you tried googling to see if there is a best of...list in your area. For instance, there are always annual surveys of the best restaurants, clubs, dentists, doctors and then even by specialty areas. I found this list in the Washingtonian magazine. So there may be one like in a Tennesseean or Nashville monthly mag - where ever you may live.
With regards to being prodded again with an anoscope, I guess it all depends on the skill of the CRS who is doing it.
My CRS never used an anoscope during my office visits as he could visibly see the fissure from just looking in a bit. That was enough for him because he didn't want to cause any more trauma to the area.
It's like people having a colonoscopy only to be torn more or get their first tear. However, my CRS was so good that it was completely opposite experience for me; I believe the colonoscopy helped in healing my fissure.
I don't know what your state of anxiety/worry is but I can tell you it's not helping your situation. If there is anything you can do to also minimize it, it will go a long way in dealing with your fissure/anal issues too. I know it's easier said that to do but you need to get a leash on that anxiety.
As always, feel better.
gareth
happyass
King Fissure

Topics: 74

Postby Guest » 11 Oct 2007, 08:40

Juney,
I generally wouldn't discuss one CRS diagnosis with then next one. The best part about going to two is seeing if they come up with the same diagnosis. But what I have learned is once you find one that you do like, stick with her or him and don't bounce back and forth.
I go for surgery tomorrow...yikes! I just want to get it over with and start the healing. Of course in true irony, my fissure finally stopped bleeding a few days ago and I've been having good BMs. It's almost like it knows that the surgery is coming and it's trying to behave. Too late for that!
Between my strained abdominal and this fissure, my anxiety has been through the roof, so I'm looking forward to a week from tomorrow so that things can start calming down. Also, I haven't been able to sit down normally for any length of time since it started to really bother me 4 months ago, so I'm also looking forward to that as well.
Thanks for the well wishes!!